• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Comparison

Filio45

slightly refined the driver on the v2
With the V2 10" and 12" THX, there is a small increase in magnet mass but otherwise same driver, and 0.7 to 1dB more output.

I believe the amp is the same as V1 but not 100% certain

Last edited:

Synergy4

The Monoprice Monolith subwoofer seems like a good solution if space is not an issue & one wants High SPL at 20Hz. For small spaces, the Rythmik sealed subwoofer looks like a better solution, but SPL at 20Hz may not be as effective.

Reactions: MCH

airmail

I quite like the look of the Monolith dual 12's - just can't get them in the UK :(

MCH

Major Contributor
The Monoprice Monolith subwoofer seems like a good solution if space is not an issue & one wants High SPL at 20Hz. For small spaces, the Rythmik sealed subwoofer looks like a better solution, but SPL at 20Hz may not be as effective.
It is big indeed. I was doing some measurements in my living room and it definitely doesn't fit. I am leaning now more to the svs sb1000 for no other reason than size...

airmail

The 10 doesn't fit? The 10 looks to measure better than my SB1000 pro - not just in terms of frequency response but also group delay....despite being ported. The only thing you're missing out on is DSP, which you could do with a minidsp.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks! May i ask what is the difference between the two versions? If i compare pictures of the back they seem identical (erins review vs current monoprice website). PS: sorry but i know nothing about subs.
The only real difference between the two versions is: V2 had some tweaking of the DSP engine and cosmetics. As some test results have been shown, I don't think there would be any audible difference between the two versions.
Both are built like a tank and have a 5 year warranty. Now you no longer have to send it in if needed, they will just send replacement parts as needed. For the price to performance value, they are spectacular. Nothing against SVS they make fine products, but I wont go back after owning the Monoliths.

MCH

Major Contributor
Agree with both, and for 500 eur now in EU they really seem the best deal possible. But at 53 cm depth i simply don't have a place for it. Can't defeat geometry sadly :-/

warthor

How do the build-your-own subwoofers perform? For example, the Marty subwoofers from gsg.

Do we have any data on these?

The reason I ask is if the performance is similar to subwoofers with the same size woofers than the value is quite good.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do the build-your-own subwoofers perform? For example, the Marty subwoofers from gsg.

Do we have any data on these?

The reason I ask is if the performance is similar to subwoofers with the same size woofers than the value is quite good.

https://data-bass.com has some DIY subwoofer data, but none of the GSG models. In general, you can expect DIY subs to keep up with similarly sized commercial counterparts. Assuming of course there is enough amplifier power available, and the cabinet was well designed.

warthor

https://data-bass.com has some DIY subwoofer data, but none of the GSG models. In general, you can expect DIY subs to keep up with similarly sized commercial counterparts. Assuming of course there is enough amplifier power available, and the cabinet was well designed.
Thanks a lot! That is very helpful. It seems like databass has reviewed a fair number of DIY drivers.

One such subwoofer is also listed here in the comparison chart (https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5afdc4a68a2a8000041c7999?_k=ysi09e). It performed quite well, and received the extreme room rating (even going down to 10 Hz. It would seem as though these can be very good subwoofers.

OLED

Hi all Bro,
I have a question I am planning to buy a monoprice 12-inch v2 subwoofer from the US site,
but it is used in Asia. I know that the voltage purchased in the US site is 120v.
Do you think his amplifier circuit can be changed to 220v to use ?
Like SVS just simply be turned into 220v by simply removing the jumper..... etc ?

MCH

Major Contributor
Hey @OLED I can't really help you but if it is worth something, I see they also sell it in EU so maybe....

I have another question, related to the quality of the dsp (x-over) of the older SVS sb-1000 (non pro). Is it good enough to relay on it and drive the manins amp from the output or better to avoid altogether and go for an external x-over?
Any reviews or measurements here or elsewhere? I only find them for the pb...
(PS: by dsp i mean the low pass and high pass filters and also if it adds some sort of hiss or degradation to the mains signal)
Thanks.

Last edited:

OLED

Hey @OLED I can't really help you but if it is worth something, I see they also sell it in EU so maybe....

I have another question, related to the quality of the dsp (x-over) of the older SVS sb-1000 (non pro). Is it good enough to relay on it and drive the manins amp from the output or better to avoid altogether and go for an external x-over?
Any reviews or measurements here or elsewhere? I only find them for the pb...
(PS: by dsp i mean the low pass and high pass filters and also if it adds some sort of hiss or degradation to the mains signal)
Thanks.
Thanks @MarcosCh ,
But the price difference between the US and Europe is too big, if possible, I still want to buy it on the US website and change it to 220v

Last edited:

Jshaw81

Thanks, SC. I was comparing SVS outlet prices at 0900 ET this morning. I got them in my cart and they were gone by the time I wrote my post and got back over there.

I picked up the Starke. I had their black friday sale in my cart all weekend. 2 subs for $838 delivered. Could do worse.

And yes, I was using your spreadsheet to get me there. Thanks much!!!
How do you like the SW-12s?

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
RSL released their the MKII of their popular Speedwoofer 10S. :)

Price is US$450.

Audioholics today said:
The original 10S model comfortably met our "Medium" Bassaholic room size rating so we are itching to test the MKII to see if it can achieve our "Large" Bassaholic room size rating.
So Audioholics they'll test it soon.

biniek

Hi i got a question regarding this sub

is it possible to use this sub in a setup with tube amp via cinch out?
I mean pairing it with some decent bookshelves like kef ls50 meta and high pass them at 85hz?
dont know if i understand the wiring correctly - probably it should be like this:
Dac -> sub input -> filtering 85hz -> sub out to an input in amplifier connected to bookshelves

Last edited:

WinWiz

Monolith 10" thx 500w (sealed mode) vs xtz 12.17 700w (sealed mode) ?
I want a second subwoofer to accompany my dynaudio sub 500.
Since my existing sub 500 is sealed and I only have the dsp functionality in my denon x3700h I have been advised to purchase another sealed sub.
But it seems all the best value sub available in EU are ported. So I have narrowed my choices down to the monolith 10" or the xtz 12.17
I can't find cea 2010 measurements of the xtz in sealed mode. But looking at the available specs I would think the 700w 12" xtz might outperform the 500w 10" monolith below 25hz?
Or would the monoliths larger cabinet outweigh the xtz's larger cone and power advantage?
I know woofer displacement is a product of both cone area and xmax, but xtz doesn't specify the drivers xmax. Xtz only state that it is long through and fast...
I believe running the subs sealed would lover the efficiency and increase the mechanical power handling limit, but probably also decrease the thermal power limit...
So assuming the xtz have xmax like an average decent 12" sub driver, would the xtz likely outperform the monolith in the lowest frequencies?

English is not my first language so I hope you understand my question...

gabo4au

When looking at sealed subs, don't forget about HSU. They aren't advertised like the rest, so easy to forget about them. The ULS-15 MK2 sealed sub is a beast, and at 18 in. x 18 in. x 18 in. is fairly small as well.

Top Bottom