Recent content by Tokyo_John

1. Tokyo_John

Has anybody heard the new KEF KF92 sub? What are your opinions?

16.35 Hz is the C0 note at the very bottom of the scientific octave scale, one octave lower than the lowest C on a typical piano (C1)... ...C0 is one octave lower than the lowest C1 pedal note on Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor for organ (note the one octave decrement under the...
  2. Tokyo_John

What lenses are you currently using?

Lately I've been using... Bodies: Nikon D810, Nikon Z6ii, and Nikon F3HP Lenses: Nikon 20/2G, Nikon 85/2.8PC, Nikon 19/4PC, Nikon 50/1.2Z (only on Z6ii), Zeiss 15/2.8 Distagon, Zeiss 35/1.4 Milvus, Zeiss 135/2 Milvus. I also pull out my Nikon 200/2G and Nikon 600/4Dii on occasion (would like to...
  3. Tokyo_John

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

As someone already mentioned, this is a tough market to get into...a lot of big companies with hugely popular and long-established products. The cheapest end, such as the "Focusrite Scarlett" level, is especially tough as it is flooded with many competitors selling AIs at around $200 USD (+/-)...
  4. Tokyo_John

Where is the AI audio upscaler?

The only thing that machine-learning needs is training data. Additional constraints can also be added, if desired. Since the resultant algorithm runs on GPUs it is very fast and efficient. -One way to begin would be to pick up something like a M-scaler and use its input/output as training data...
  5. Tokyo_John

Has anybody heard the new KEF KF92 sub? What are your opinions?

KEF is a truly international/global entity, KF92 (and service/support) is available worldwide at a reasonably similar cost. SVS, on the other hand, is only available in a few countries...it can be exported to some other countries, but at much greater cost and trouble.
  6. Tokyo_John

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

I was thinking about getting another amp for a separate sound system in my home. I've always had good results from Topping in the past (I own a D90, A90, DX3 Pro+), and this little discrete amp appears very tantalizing owing to its small size/footprint. Yet I'm a bit concerned about the lack of...
  7. Tokyo_John

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

I get just a good clean sound out of the Metas, seamless crossover between woofer and tweeter, excellent imaging, good directional behavior, etc.. The concentric tweeter and woofer and bulging front probably explain most of these good characteristics. These days I never listen to them without my...
  8. Tokyo_John

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Unfortunate to hear about these failures with the A90 discrete. I have the original D90+A90 stack and it has been rock solid for me after several years, no trouble (knock on wood). The original A90 is already utterly transparent, no need for the discrete. It isn't always necessary to EQ. My...
  9. Tokyo_John

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I picked up one of these a few months back to connect a stereo amp via bluetooth for a simple movie projector setup, and it has performed marvelously. I never had any trouble with setup, it was plug and play for me. The bluetooth connection with my Mac laptop just works without hassle every time...
  10. Tokyo_John

What audio interface [from list] under 200€ to choose?

Thanks, just checked out Cosmo's bundle. Many new options are coming around, and getting cheaper all the time. I'm very happy with the setups I have now, although they do take up a bit of space on my desks (home and work offices both have recording setups). I have a few Cloudlifters around...
  11. Tokyo_John

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

It is fun to see Topping emphasize their strengths in characteristics that are more important in the domain of audio reproduction, but are often less important in audio recording. This is to be expected, it is new territory for these guys. The reported 68 dB gain is decent for a little AI like...
  12. Tokyo_John

What audio interface [from list] under 200€ to choose?

Another 2 cents for posterity... I know the OP is looking to spend under 200 EUR, however, I've found that quality improves significantly as one moves further rungs up the ladder. For example, I used a Focusrite Scarlett for a while, and thought it was just fine...until I picked up a Focusrite...
  13. Tokyo_John

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

I've done more research, and it seems straightforward to train a machine learning algorithm to reproduce the same upscaling as an M-Scaler...provided one has an M-Scaler (or its output/input) to produce the training data. Of course, there may be legal reasons not to do so, or at least to not...
  14. Tokyo_John

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

A solid DSP running something like Dirac Live with careful calibration will do miracles with a non-optimal room, and provide a seamless cross-over as well if you decide to go with a subwoofer(s) (highly recommended, it allows the main speakers to focus on what they're good at). I personally went...
  15. Tokyo_John

Audio Engineering Society Paper and Help?

It's true that I've published a lot of academic papers, including in high profile journals like Science and Nature. Trouble is that I'm too busy with my own work, supervising my graduate students, teaching, hosting visitors and workshops, behind working on papers with collaborators, perpetually...
Top Bottom