Recent content by tmuikku

1. T

Rephase, phase corrected put can't hear a difference

Hi, my current understanding of what you describe is something like this: Harmonics of vocal for example, span from root on the low mids all the way up to tweeter bandwidth. What phase linearization (from fundamental all the way up to many kHz) can do is to maintain better "dynamics", when all...
  2. T

Question about ‘neutral sound’ and preference.

Yes eactly, basically everyone should be somehow aware abour their auditory system state when tuning their system, or assessing any other system. Refering to my previous post, perhaps bass level should be adjusted only in the morning when auditory system state is pretty similar as every other...
  3. T

so it's likely due to some adaptation process. listening to stereo at evening after work, and sound depends on which car one drove, the ev or v8? :) seems sensible. Hmm, I wonder how long it takes to recover. I would bet the standard hearing (adaptation) is what effect ambient at home makes...
  4. T

Here in lies also the end goal for a hifi system: when sound seems nice, always, nothing to tweak, it's as good as it gets, problem free, that's it, right? If soubd seems always off, it's not best it could be, obviously. But, if sound changes by mood/brainchemistry as you say, it's not so...
  5. T

Tim Link, MaxwellsEq, my personal opinion and observation on difficulty to set bass balance is due to a resonance, or a room modal peak, that takes the attention. Symptoms are: bass seems to be too much, turn bass down and now it's lean, turn it up and now it's overwhelming, it's just always...
  6. T

Klippel distortion tests (two-tone 70hz 800hz tests). Where do you fit, as compared to +8680 participants?

Tried the two tone tests, smack dap average performance with both headphones and speakers. Sorry, don't want to listen the chapman tracks :D It was interesting to test Bl(x), Le(x) and Cms(x). Bl was most audible, at least result got -45db or something, with Le -39db or something like that...
  7. T

Omnidirectional speakers

Well, in such cases where party is on the back, then I'd guess omni speaker would be best as it is perhaps closer to ideal pattern than a dipole or cardioidish speaker would. For example, drivers off an OB system have some anomalies in response behind due to baskets and magnets and other...
  8. T

Omnidirectional speakers

Hi, I think the party effect is just due to ~constant directivity. High DI ~constant directivity speakers can sound the same anywhere in the room as well depending the toe-in. Basically the whole room is the listening area. Difference between high and low DI is that with high DI phantom center...
  9. T

Repeatable process to create "magical" sweet spot?

Cool :) There is a caveat though: When one is suitably close to speakers so that the direct sound is loud enough for stream separation, it also means that stereo crosstalk from each speaker to both ears is high, not "filled in" by early reflections, and actually means the phantom center would...
  10. T

Best DIY speaker type (and radiation pattern) for listening to podcasts and audio books in a large room?

Clear sound all around the space is only with headphones :) Or perhaps multiple, narrow coverage speakers all playing mono sound and all pointed/optimized for each work/hangout area. If you strategically position the speakers close to area's you spend time you could keep overall volume level...
  11. T

Repeatable process to create "magical" sweet spot?

Hi, stereo illusion that we perceive with our conscious mind is provided by our own auditory system. Sound in room enters your ear, auditory system processes the information into existence into your perception. A stereo playback system has two sound sources in a room, which together are...
  12. T

Properties of speakers that creates a large and precise soundstage

Idea behind single speaker noise experiment is to simplify as much as possible, the noise has no spatial information, nor does single speaker, so you'd mainly hear just how you perceive the sound in the room originating from the speaker, basically to gauge your own perception. Of course using...
  13. T

yeah i can relate to your posts, what you describe seems very plausible, i can well imagine the sound, almost fully relate except some tests I haven't done, like adjusting whats between speakers. You have clearly went much further than I and have very sensitive hearing regarding these things...
  14. T

So, the knowledge is the real power here. Example, my main system is just normal living room and practical positioning is such that I do not have 3D perception of stereo sound at sofa although I liked to, but I know the sound I want is available at will. I just need to move myself bit closer to...
  15. T

Exactly, the confusion I've been referring to. Listening skill and understanding/definition of written concepts vary between individuals with experience they've had and it is hard to relate to each other remotely over forum as we do not share auditory experience with the text. We all have...
Top Bottom