Recent content by tmtomh

1. tmtomh

Just wasn't determined enough

Ouch!
  2. tmtomh

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

Yes, that's a good example of a state anti-SLAPP law. They key is the early dismissal provision.
  3. tmtomh

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

Is there some unwritten forum rule that we have to be a**holes to manufacturers and assume the worst motives? Isn't it a good thing - not to mention fun - to have manufacturers posting here to ask what we think of product ideas and to ask for our input before they even design a product? Isn't...
  4. tmtomh

Genelec 8341 setup for PC and AirPlay

Keep in mind that this Genelec support page says that they recommend not exceeding 8 meters using a 75 ohm SPDIF to AES cable. So according to Genelec, not only is an SPDIF to AES converter cable fine, but it doesn't even need to be a 110 ohm cable unless you have an 8 meter or longer run...
  5. tmtomh

Comparing amplifier THD+N in active speaker

Great comment, @JEntwistle ! I agree with everything you say. I think it's important to try to be as objective and critical as possible and also to advocate for top-level engineering. And of course manufacturers work to minimize costs wherever they can. But that said, I have a hard time...
  6. tmtomh

Excellent post - thanks!
  7. tmtomh

Where does quantization noise come from.

That’s very clever and really cool - thanks!
  8. tmtomh

Comparing amplifier THD+N in active speaker

And we also know that most or all of the current Genelec Ones (8331 to 8361) use Infineon IRS amp modules. I agree with @amirm ’s preference, except in my room with my listening-volume preferences and tolerance, I find that the 8351b will go as loud as - and louder than - I want without going...
  9. tmtomh

Where does quantization noise come from.

Thanks (as always!) for the clear explanation. I'm thinking the one final piece of information that might make @teapea feel like this all fully makes sense would be a very mundane and practical piece of information: How does one capture the data necessary to plot a signal such that it can be...
  10. tmtomh

He's jumped in to three different threads and posted small variations on this exact same manifesto. Personally I wouldn't ban the account just for that, but I'd guess he's certainly on his way if he persists like this without modification - though of course it's totally up to the mods as always...
  11. tmtomh

Yes, it would have been much more meaningful if they had engaged in a battle of interpretive dance. Plenty of affordable gear meets the performance expectations that you claim are unrealistic. And in some product categories, the tests and reviews published here have played a role in spurring...
  12. tmtomh

It seems to me that what he claims is important is whatever principle can be invoked ad hoc to try to retroactively fit the contradictory facts of the situation and his behavior.
  13. tmtomh

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

Here's a question, in case anyone has an answer before I contact Genelec support: does anyone know if the DACs inside these speakers have built-in headroom for intersample overs?
  14. tmtomh

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Wow - so glad you are okay @BDWoody - and as others have said, thank you for sharing your story. Great for our awareness - hopefully none of us will go through that but odds are some of us will and your post could help save a life.
  15. tmtomh

Wild and wacky gear from the PRC

Don't forget the famous Infinity Reference Standard 1:
Top Bottom