Recent content by Swoof

1. S

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this DAC doesn't have an output buffer similar to the m400? Or does anyone know the output impedance of the m200?
  2. S

Share your in-room measurements?

First time using REW to make measurements, I took 3 measurements at ear level along the length of my couch and averaged them. I manually typed the generated filters into Roon. I'm not sure exactly what I should be setting the pre-amp setting to, as the big +9dB 90.9Hz actually nets out to below...
  3. S

Topping E30 DAC Review

I bought my e30 back in April of last year and I've been using it with my PC and headphones, never had issues with popping, and was not aware of polarity issues then. Now I just moved it to living room with e30 right into nc252mp to dbr62s, using e30 as a pre-amp. The pop when turning the unit...
  4. S

Active vs Passive pre-amp and optimal impedance matching. Or how to go about optimal volume control for my set up.

I'm current running a SMSL M200 DAC -> Nobsound NS-05P -> Buckeyeamp NC252MP -> Elac DBR62, all with balanced XLR interconnects. I added the nobsound because going from m200 -> nc252 didn't give me very useable volume control. The M200 only allows 40-0 volume control, it's a bit unclear if it...
  5. S

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

These are a great little raspberry pi DAC solution. Cheap and compatible with any case, unlike the average HATs.
  6. S

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
  7. S

I'm getting a very slight hiss. It's about 10% as loud as a JBL 305p hiss, have to hold ear to tweeter, also it doesn't increase much with volume knob. cranked up.
  8. S

Well mine just arrived today (US based) in the branded black box from Amazon with the power supply included. I also had ordered the parts express 36V 5a power supply for something hopefully safer and more powerful but it is making horrendous noise so will be sending that back. 32V 5a supply that...
  9. S

Help me understand matching a DAC with amp input sensitivity

Thanks, this was super helpful. Can we assume all modern DAC's with digital volume control have access to the DACs internal data path? Is that baked into the chip itself, or on the manufacturer to implement correctly?
  10. S

Yes, I know, not sure if it's worth the extra oomph or not. Parts express has a $40 36V 5amp offering...
  11. S

What about something like this as a power supply? 48V 6.25amps https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/phihong-usa/PPL300U-480/10324925?s=N4IgTCBcDaIApwDIGYAMqCqBaALADlRAF0BfIA
  12. S

Help me understand matching a DAC with amp input sensitivity

I think this is making a lot more sense now. The extra voltage from the DAC is nice, particularly for the occasional track or TV show that seems like the volume is really low. Regarding SNR - What is going on with a DAC pre-amp? My m200 goes from 40-0dB, I'm not sure how well this will work...
  13. S

You should have a fixed DAC mode. I can set Pre to 0 or 1 in menu to turn on or off. If I set to fixed it turns off volume control but display remains locked at previous volume. I'm just curious where the extra voltage comes from in pre mode. Attached image from my manual, since everywhere else...
  14. S

There is, it is how you start adjust the volume if you are using that feature.
  15. S

Does anyone understand why this DAC puts out higher voltages when using Pre mode rather than DAC mode? Manual says 2v RCA, 4.1v XLR via DAC mode, but 2.7v RCA and 5.5v XLR during pre-mode. Is this typical? I have an e30 but it doesn't specify different voltages for pre-mode.
Top Bottom