• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The unit includes a PSU so you don't even need to worry about it :p

1. We have no idea how much current the internal PSU can source and thus no hint at the actual output power.

2. YMMV, but I hate amps where bluetooth is prioritized over the wired input -- been there, done that.

Jdunk54nl

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Because if the effect of output impedance is the frequency response, then we already have that measured. Output Z from the filter is minimal at 1kHz, while at 20kHz it is high enough to cause the FR to dip a bit. Or even ring.

"This begs the question of why this filter has customarily been used if it isn't needed."
- Because it is customarily been needed. It still is needed today. Filterless class D have their own set of limitation, like generally not allowed to have long cables / being limited to the same enclosure as the driver.

Or maybe we think of it another way. The class D amp itself, without the filter, creates a ton of extra frequencies. We don't want that. Hence we add the filter, which has high impedance (seen from amplifier direction), to alter the frequency response to -9999dB. But at the same time a properly designed filter will also have 0dB insertion loss in the passband.

I appreciate your willingness to participate, but I'm afraid that you only managed to obfuscate some of the questions, including the main question. The main question is why it would not be important to measure and report the output impedance of low-cost class D amplifiers. I think you said that it doesn't need to be measured because it is always lower than it needs to be. Perhaps you were thinking only in terms of the affect on power available to the speaker. I'm not quite convinced that even in this respect we do not need to be concerned with the output impedance of low cost class D amplifiers. My casual observations have been that many of the low cost class D amps have output impedance on the order of 1 to 10 Ohms. But this particular concern, i.e., the power available to the speaker, is not the primary reason that the output impedance of a low cost class D amplifier is an important consideration.

The more important concern is with the affect on the frequency response of the speaker driven by the amplifier. With respect to frequency response, you wrote, "... we already have that measured." Yes, the frequency response of the amplifier itself has been measured, but it is almost silly to bother to do this with some of the low cost class D amplifiers. The reason is that the frequency response of the amplifier itself does not tell the whole story of how the frequency response of the speaker will be affected by the high output impedance of the amplifier. This has been discussed and explained numerous times in numerous places, but it is apparent that people who understand this do not make up the majority.

Together with the speaker impedance, the output impedance of the amplifier forms a voltage dividing network, i.e., two impedances in series. The distribution of the voltage between these two impedances follows the ratio of the two impedances. For example, in the case of two simple resistors in series and with the two resistance values in the ratio 2:1, 2/3 of the voltage will appear across the greater resistance and 1/3 of the voltage will appear across the lesser resistance. Even in the case of a hypothetical speaker that has constant impedance (with respect to frequency), the speaker's share of the voltage would decline steadily with increasing frequency, because the impedance of the low-pass filter will increase steadily with increasing frequency. But of course real speakers aren't like this. With any real speaker, the impedance will exhibit a pronounced peak at the driver resonance. If it is a ported speaker, there will be another impedance peak at the port tuning frequency. And driver impedance generally increases with increasing frequency once the frequency is high enough such that the reactance of the voice coil becomes significant in comparison the to the coil's DC resistance. If you consider just the impedance peak at the driver resonance (this frequency is altered by the enclosure, i.e., it is higher than the driver's Fs), it is apparent that the driver's share of the voltage will be significantly greater at this frequency compared to other frequencies. With many low cost class D amplifiers, the net effect is a conspicuous peak in the response in the upper bass, just barely low enough in frequency to be considered bass as opposed to lower midrange.

With the more conventional class A and class AB amplifiers, this is never a practical concern because of the very low output impedance; essentially all of the voltage appears across the speaker notwithstanding the frequency-dependent variation in the speaker's impedance. The variation in the speaker's impedance, when the speaker's impedance is taken as a percentage of the combined series impedance of the speaker and the amplifier's output impedance, is insignificant. The same is true for high quality, high cost class D amplifiers. The NCORE amplifiers from Hypex have output impedance less than .003 Ohm. And they are complete amplifiers (except for needing DC supply), in contrast with the class D chip amplifiers, which obviously do not have the low pass filter to remove the ultrasonic frequencies unless and until it is added by the manufacturer of the complete amplifier. The completed amplifiers that you can buy, which are based on any of the popular class D chips from TI and others, each have their own individual implementation of the low-pass filter that filters out the ultrasonics. My expectation is that this is an important basis by which these low cost class D amplifiers are distinguished from one another.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

SEKLEM

Very nice. I'm glad to see another contender in this rather noncompetitive price range.
I am looking for an amp under $200 that has both above average SINAD performance and high power. So far, nothing comes all too close to a used Niles SI-275. The AIYIMA has comparable SINAD to the Niles. But, with much lower power than the Niles, of course.

I'm surprised to see the Niles mentioned! I thought my golden boy slipped beneath the radar. That Niles is a solid little amp.

Jdunk54nl

Because it has live mains wiring, is large, and has a fan.

All valid points and this is why we let you continue here Amir ;).

The mains "exposed" wiring scares me now that I see that and actually realize it.

It was more in reference to this post where they posted the same one without the cords it looks like.:
Just going by the specs -- and its likely decent quality notwithstanding -- this thing will not unlock the A07's potential, not even close. Aiyima's recommendation of a 48VDC 7.5A SMPS is at the lower edge of what it takes to unleash that potential.

This is what powers the A07 that drives my main L+R speakers -- I got mine for $25 USD via eBay. I like its voltage adjustment knob, LED voltage display, and thermostatically-controlled fan -- but those are "bells & whistles" and virtually any unit with similar specs will do. You'll need to do a little DIY and buy a few $ worth of parts -- a three-prong AC mains cord, a suitable coaxial DC plug, and a length of 2-conductor cable (ordinary 18 AWG "zipcord" will do) to carry the DC to the amp -- in order to get it connected up, but IMO it's much more than worth that modest cost and effort.

HJS-480-0-48 SMPS

View attachment 103011

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Because it has live mains wiring, is large, and has a fan.

I've found none of those issues to be relevant -- YMMV, of course. Given my experience with a few similar-looking units, there is a plastic piece that swings down, snapping into place and covering the entire barrier strip to prevent any actual touching of the mains terminals, you can tuck the thing well out of the way making its size a non-issue, and if the fan isn't thermostatically controlled you can open up the case and simply unplug it. One of mine does have a thermostatically controlled fan, and it has never come on, which IMO makes unplugging (and even removing) the fan a pretty safe bet. The way these things are built, the entire case comprises one de facto heat sink for the big, heat-producing semiconductors, making heat-related failure without the fan very unlikely unless you're powering something with a steadily high current draw like an LED array. So far, so good! :cool:

pma

Major Contributor
It is not what was written on the website I bought it from for 58€ :(

Yes, I am pretty sure there will be no power supply. We need to use something we have in stock or to buy if we do not have one.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any comments on this PS to power it? I’m gathering that Mean Well makes quality product and assuming this addresses Amirm’s safety concerns.

https://www.jameco.com/z/GST220A48-...-Power-Supply-DIN4-Plug-Level-VI_2226513.html

It appears plug adaptors are cheap. (I believe this is the correct barrel plug): https://www.jameco.com/shop/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=2309151

Of course the power supply costs more than the amp, but who ever followed logic when searching for the holy grail of Class D amps.....
That looks like a good combo. I might order those if there isn't an all-in-one safe PSU available!?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've found none of those issues to be relevant -- YMMV, of course.
Anyone who doesn't know about these types of power supplies already, has little business messing with them. They would need to build their own power cord, terminate them properly so they don't short out or worse yet, come loose with catastrophic consequences. An open cage power supply must not be used in the open. Spill a glass of water over it and I can't even enumerate all the bad things that can happen to you. They must only be used inside another enclosure.

Really, this little amplifier should be used with a proper enclosed outside power supply as supplied with it. It lacks proper cooling to handle more power.

Jdunk54nl

Swoof

Jdunk54nl

Yes, I know, not sure if it's worth the extra oomph or not. Parts express has a $40 36V 5amp offering.

https://www.parts-express.com/dc-36...NCVAZjZmoo2SCRzKAp44Y-ZHrtri6i_4aAg_4EALw_wcB

I'd rather pay the extra $80 for enough power and no potential for clipping due to lack of power though.

but this comes with a power supply....and the seller appears to be aiyima themselves.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CJZGT6H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Yjo8Fb36DQVVG

B453B191-3740-4996-A884-C01FBED38826.jpeg

Sure a more powerful supply will squeak out more power...but we are talking a couple decibels of difference at the cost of a lot more $$ and heat produced.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Anyone who doesn't know about these types of power supplies already, has little business messing with them. They would need to build their own power cord, terminate them properly so they don't short out or worse yet, come loose with catastrophic consequences. An open cage power supply must not be used in the open. Spill a glass of water over it and I can't even enumerate all the bad things that can happen to you. They must only be used inside another enclosure.

Really, this little amplifier should be used with a proper enclosed outside power supply as supplied with it. It lacks proper cooling to handle more power.

Opinion noted with respect. However, Aiyima doesn't provide a power supply with the A07 -- perhaps the Amazon seller did? -- and suggests exactly the sort of industrial SMPS against which you caution, apparently believing the A07 has enough "cooling to handle more power." That type of SMPS has narrow vents just like a lot of "high-end" gear does and thus isn't any more "open cage" than a lot of name-brand audio products with UL certs I've owned over the last 50+ years.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Top Bottom