Recent content by signalpath

1. signalpath

Do you need linear power supply for DACs?

Have been designing high-end audio for 30 years using LPS and SPS. When done with attention and care, both can be exceptional. When done wrong, both can be awful. About 1/2 our products use LPS, but we're moving more to SPS mostly for reasons of heat, weight, size, and EMR. There's nothing magic...
  2. signalpath

Why can't audio industry standardize on a common digital audio "hdmi"?

Dante, or the generic AVB (IEEE 802.1BA) seems like the ideal solution. Dante uses a common switch ($25). Legacy multi-channel formats (MADI, etc.) are limited to 24-bits. If someone really needs 384kHz, then suggest Ravenna, which also hosts native DSD. Audio Over Ethernet solutions are working...
  3. signalpath

ESS Standard Filter Preference?

ESS provides 7 standard filters in their ES9026PRO DAC ICs. Filter 1 FAST LINEAR PHASE Filter 2 SLOW LINEAR PHASE Filter 3 APODIZING FAST LINEAR PHAST Filter 4 FAST MINIMUM PHASE Filter 5 SLOW MINIMUM PHASE Filter 6 HYBRID FAST MINIMUM Filter 7 BRICKWALL Due to the AKM fire, we're emergency...
  4. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

Thanks for the conversation, all. We're deep into conference season and crazy R/D, so I'll have to bow out for a while. If anyone is at NAMM, next week, please stop by and say "hi" and see our advanced new product we'll be showing for the first time. Hint: Ethernet audio, redundant AC/DC...
  5. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

This is getting silly. Why do you keep presenting dynamic range data, psychoacoustic data, JJ data, AES IC amp perception tests, etc.. in support of your claim that -120dB THD hardware performance guarantees transparency? There's a connection missing between -120dB dynamic range perception...
  6. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

Peer-review is the only valid confirmation of truth and efficacy in science, in all branches of science. This is why homeopathic medicine is derided among medical science, but embraced by those easily duped. Once again: I don't claim that my AB methods are accurate or even valid. Perhaps you...
  7. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

SINAD is great! Valid measurement. The problem is ASR's calling it a definitive measure of "guaranteed transparency." That's not science. That's belief.
  8. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

So, you agree that "120dB SINAD guarantees transparency" ? You agree that lower THD is always perceptively better? These are my only concerns with this ASR site. If you agree with either of these statements, the onus is on -you- (and ASR) to deliver the abundant peer-reviewed proof of your...
  9. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

I'm not convinced that simple, static (periodic) harmonic testing (SINAD / THD) identifies 'one-off' transient induced distortions, "AM vs. FM distortions" (John Curl's terminology), feedback-generated transient phase modulation effects (very possible related to ICs with massive loop gain, like...
  10. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

Audio professionals have been chasing the elusive "perception / measurement" correlation for decades. The number of design and operational permutations in circuits vs. myriad performance metrics is, effectively, infinite. I don't think we'll ever see a satisfactory measurement / perception...
  11. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

Yes, identical reference program on all files. One is raw ref. The other two are thru identical HV-3 micamp (40dB gain, IIRC), except just different electrolytic capacitors in the front-end series path. (we source a high quality film cap that - in this application - sounds even more accurate...
  12. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

I love Nelson (he's been my Sierra Foothills neighbor for 30 years), but I failed to mention that most of our AB testing these days is done with cans. I, personally, find them to be more revealing of subtle timbre, even with access to a great room like ours. Reference cans include Senn 600 and...
  13. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

I was there for Earl's AES paper, and had a lengthy chat with him afterwards, and later via emails. That is a super duper paper, but it left everyone wanting more, including myself. There's so much more to the "distortion story" that needs to be told, and scientifically vetted. It's hard work...
  14. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

8/10 x2 is our standard pass/fail. Has been for probably 2 decades. This is also a standard threshold in ABX testing literature, as you know (often 3x @ 8/10 is preferred). What are you inferring? If you dig back a few days, I mentioned this "8 of 10" metric before you brought it up. Here's the...
  15. signalpath

SINAD Measurements

Company link Artist link
Top Bottom