Recent content by Sancus

1. Sancus

Erin's Audio Corner gets a Klippel NFS!

I liked Stepped 3dB. But I will say the readability of these charts is improved in general by using more colors to depict a smaller SPL range. The original uses some shade of red for all SPLs from 96 -> 84, whereas the Stepped charts bring in yellow at a higher value, so there are fewer values...
  2. Sancus

SVS SB-2000 Pro vs SB-3000 Subwoofer Review

The 3000 Micro has less driver area than the SB-2000 Pro and a much smaller enclosure so the same power means less output. How much less is hard to say without measurements, and nobody has measured it yet afaik.
  3. Sancus

(Informal) Chat with Dr. Earl Geddes of GedLee Audio

I think this would require a downsloping test signal tbh, even 102dB seems like it might be pushing it. No tweeter will ever play that loud because almost all the SPL in real content is from 20-1000hz. As @amirm states, there is probably a high risk of killing tweeters with 105dB sweeps even on...
  4. Sancus

(Informal) Chat with Dr. Earl Geddes of GedLee Audio

Erin does 102dB on the instantaneous linearity test, and yes, the 305p(review) won't even play that loud, the limiter kicks in. As you can see in the graph. Personally I think this is adequate. I don't think 105dB makes any sense in the long term compression tests, even 96dB RMS is...
  5. Sancus

JBL 305P MkII Review (Erin)

I'm a bit confused by this line. Which 1.5m red measurement is this paragraph referring to? There isn't one in the graph above it. Great review though, love the compression tests and hope to see them continue! I think it's interesting that this speaker shows so little compression, and I wonder...
  6. Sancus

Subwoofer Comparison

OK, but this leaves out the actual hard part which is the optimization of each step. Doing it manually isn't going to produce the best result. Apparently Geddes advised this in some of his earliest posts, but then later said you need a computer program to do it and started joking about the...
  7. Sancus

Subwoofer Comparison

Well when I said 'bass management system' I was referring to automated systems eg Audyssey, Trinnov Optimizer, Dirac Bass Control, etc. I'm not super familiar with the Geddes approach, I've only read a couple of short papers from him. What I read indicated that it would be unsuitable for...
  8. Sancus

mini/micro subwoofer thread

Ya you're right, the majority of the difference is between testing done in free space or half space and real-world quarter or eighth space, but whatever you want to call it you usually get about 8-12dB more than CEA2010 in the real world. Kef looks to be assuming maybe 12-15dB which is certainly...
  9. Sancus

You misunderstand, it was just an example. Any good 12" sealed sub will have similar performance, within a few db. Rythmik F12, SVS SB-2000 Pro, etc. "Making things rattle" isn't a metric for performance lol. The Kef doesn't even get to 100dB at 30hz WITH Kef's(generous, most likely) assumptions...
  10. Sancus

Well the key part is what output you can expect at those frequencies. The best info we have so far until someone completes a CEA2010 is this chart @napilopez linked from their white paper. I'll note it doesn't seem to say anywhere whether those measurements are 2m RMS or 1m Peak or what... but...
  11. Sancus

Subwoofer Comparison

You didn't actually link to any graphs, so I assume you're talking about the generic sweep vs distortion. Of course, that is not useful because the JTR compresses less than the Funk Audio does, which means none of those numbers are comparable. That is why we have CEA2010, which is a much better...
  12. Sancus

Subwoofer Comparison

Please explain/justify your statements that either is inferior or has more distortion. The numbers indicate the opposite. The JTR has substantially better performance. Output above 40Hz is irrelevant, it's already so high it won't ever matter, especially if you are correctly using multiple...
  13. Sancus

Subwoofer Comparison

It seems very odd to me to accuse a sealed box of being a 'copy' when all the relevant attributes are different? The drivers are different and the plate amps are clearly very different as well. Funk Audio states that their current 18.0E(which is an update of the 18.0SE) is similar in output to...
  14. Sancus

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

You need room for the isopods if you're using a regular stand, yeah, but there's plenty of stands that would allow bolting them on(which is safer and more stable if you ask me). They have a 3/8"(microphone) screw in the bottom and also M6 screw holes on the back. See various 8351Bs here. And...
  15. Sancus

What is Wrong with Centre Channels

Of course they do. This leads to the obvious conclusion that stereo is significantly flawed inherently and you need multichannel for proper audio reproduction which is 100% true. People who think stereo is as good as it gets have literally missed the entire plot of audio reproduction. It's a...
Top Bottom