Recent content by Robert394

1. R

How can I best improve my system for around $1000?

I have the following setup in a ~500 sqft room with a couch about 6' from the speakers: Hedd Type 20s (MK1/original analog version) Adam Sub10 10" Subwoofer RME ADI-2 DAC I'd like to make a meaningful improvement to my system for around $1000. A couple ideas I've had are: 1. Sell the Sub10...
  2. R

Any Audioengine A5+ competitors?

I had the A5+, Yamaha HS7, and Adam A7X. The A7X are on another level from the other two. You might want to look at the Hedd Type 05 or Type 07s which should be better than the A7X but comparable price.
  3. R

"Things that cannot be measured"

In fairness, here's something like a study on claimed cable properties on a $5000 Audioquest speaker cable. What's more disturbing to me about this than even the measurement issues is the lack of engineering knowledge suggested by the design choices (the "DBS system" raising capacitance for...
  4. R

Can we measure: -Sound stage depth -Sound stage width -Harshness I think most/many people who have listened to speakers will have observed differences in the above characteristics between speaker systems... can they be measured though?
  5. R

What Measurements Show These Things?

I was just going to post something long these lines and would be interested in an answer also. Is there a measurement for: -Sound stage depth -Sound stage width -Harshness I think most/many people who have listened to speakers will have observed differences in the above characteristics...
  6. R

Very helpful, thanks.
  7. R

Audiophoolery humour thread

Sorry, I was speaking casually. I didn't realize people would spend time nitpicking my quickly-written forum post with a fine toothed comb around here for a little internet forum oneupmanship. Here, Merriam-Webster could use your insight: Choose the Right Synonym for precise CORRECT...
  8. R

I understand what you mean by "if you fail often enough, you asymptotically approach absolute proof." My question was -- where's the "failing often enough" you're referring to? Are you referring to studies or something else?
  9. R

It's better to stick to the ideas being debated than to get personal which is especially pointless when it's on the internet. When you make this comment about "if you fail often enough, you asymptotically approach absolute proof" -- what exactly are you talking about? Is anyone aware of even...
  10. R

Of course the experiments with power cables are tainted by my knowing. I'm completely aware that my evaluations are flawed in that regard. That said, if you notice what I said earlier, I'm only trying to meet a standard of "do I feel this is actually better and if so, am I willing to pay for...
  11. R

I'm not sure what you're talking about here but I think I've made my point and will bow out of this debate which, because people have such firm beliefs about, is sort of pointless. I'd be happy to set up a truly double blind test with power cables and see what I find out but that's not...
  12. R

And who is that person? It's not everyone who experiments with things like power cords. Most who do probably don't have the opportunity to set up truly controlled double blind tests like that. Additionally, there's another factor to consider in the whole "controlled listening" setting. My RME...
  13. R

You could call it loaded I suppose. But I'm really referring to the people who reject as illusory any reported observation that apparently can't be correlated with a frequency response graph or some other measurement technique. To me that's an ideological position.
  14. R

The unproved assertion that everything relevant to the perception of sound quality can be currently measured is an ideological commitment. It's really a guess and cannot be proved.
  15. R

That's very clever.
Top Bottom