Recent content by reallyoldcob

1. reallyoldcob

Looking for a straight barebones DAC

I've just compared SMSL SU-9 --> THX 789 (Balanced) --> Focal Clear & HiFiMan Sundara to Universal Audio Twin Mk ii --> THX 789 (balanced) --> Focal Clear & HiFiMan Sundara AND... I found that the UA Twin Mk ii sounded clearly more detailed, nuanced, and lively. I never thought of the Twin...
  2. reallyoldcob

What headphone(s) do you own ?

I don't know if you're still looking into open-back planars but I actually preferred the Sundara over the Ananda that I tried. Still love my Sundara one year later. I also have a Focal Clear and I go for the Sundara like 60% of the time although I use the Clear more often for work as an audio...
  3. reallyoldcob

Audioengine B-Fi Music Streamer

How does the Apple TV work as an Airplay receiver? Does it work alright without turning the TV/projector on? Does the volume of playback from the Apple TV follow the volume you set on Spotify IOS?
  4. reallyoldcob

Fiio BTR5

Hey Veri, did you end up finding a good replacement? Something portable that's a step up from the Macbook output?
  5. reallyoldcob

Can someone school me in signal flow of headphone tube amps?

I am looking for some wisdom from someone that understands the signal flow in a headphone tube amp. I am experimenting with running my mixes out of Protools (music production software) and into headphone tube amps. I'm using the headphone amps to distort the signal on purpose before sending the...
  6. reallyoldcob

Audient Nero... Anyone used it?

I have one. It replaced a Presonus Monitor Station V2 (which is probably not the same insides as central station) ... the main outs and the headphone amp(s) both sound much better than the Presonus. I prefer the headphone amp out of my Apollo Twin and Schiit Heresy over the Nero hp amp.
  7. reallyoldcob

How Should I A/B Test Headphone Amps?

Just tried using a "ONE Little Bear" 4 way switcher to compare three different headphone amps and they all sounded the same. Headphone amps: 1. Apollo Twin MKIIII 2. Schiit Heresy (via Apollo Line Outs) 3. Audient Nero (via Apollo Monitor outs) Headephones: 1. Focal Clear 2. Hifiman Sundara...
Top Bottom