Recent content by pwnz

1. P

2.5-way speaker on axis cancellation - why?

Seems reasonable, thanks. It's all fun and games until the darn box weighs 200 pounds and is the size of a refrigerator :D That was just a quick simulation where I wanted to show what the overlap of the woofers would look like. Didn't pay much attention to the horn or overall frequency...
  2. P

I managed to prop one speaker up on the kids' playhouse in my backyard but even with a working 6 ms gate the interesting measurements below 200 Hz are, let's say, inconclusive. In my room, box about 2 ft away from the rear and side wall and averaging out room modes / SBIR, it looks like there...
  3. P

That's exactly what I thought, too. Unlike with my smaller speakers I can't measure any meaningful baffle step, though. In my yard I can see a slow 2 dB rise from 100 Hz to 300 Hz but in my listening room the woofer measures flat without any BS compensation! Probably because of adjacent...
  4. P

Help with fomo - JBL 4645C Subwoofer

They actually aren't that great as HT subwoofers IMHO. Just recently I bought (and sold again with a huge profit) a pair of JBL 4642As with two 2241H drivers each. Originally, I wanted to keep them but was disappointed to be honest. The transducers don't really like operating much below 40 Hz...
  5. P

I am currently in the process of activating a pair of old JBL 4622N cinema speakers for home stereo use but I'm facing some strange issues. I got these for almost nothing and I am not yet willing to let 'em go. These are dual 15 inch woofers + big horn (JBL 2384) units. The original passive...
  6. P

Looking for a preamp (+phono?) with digital output

Right now my setup looks like this: Soundcard SPDIF -> miniDSP OpenDRC-DA8 -> 8 power amplifiers (6 channels for active-3way-speakers + 2 channels for subwoofer array) This is only for stereo music. Now what I'm looking for is a way to listen to more sources than just my...
  7. P

How do I detect a possibly damaged speaker?

For those who are interested: I pushed both woofers to Xmax with a 15 Hz sine signal and shot 240 fps slow motion video of the same region. Copy 1 has the visible fingernail mark / line along the top, copy 2 is the unharmed speaker. Copy 1: Copy 2: Personally, I see no difference in...
  8. P

Thank you. I have never measured distortion before so, as you said, we'll probably never know if anything has changed. Just wondered if the box itself or mounting/damping/loose wires ... could contribute to distortion figures in such a way. But I'd have to pull that woofer again zu find out...
  9. P

Thank you! I just measured both woofers at 105 dB, distance to mic approx. 1 ft. Frequency response (orange is the damaged one): Distortion undamaged woofer: Distortion damaged woofer: It seems to produce LESS distortion above 100 Hz but more below. What do you think?
  10. P

Yesterday, I removed the woofers from my main DIY-speakers to do some work on the crossover. The woofers are Wavecor WF259PA01, so you could consider them fairly "expensive". At least they are quite valuable to me as I had to save up for some time so I could afford a pair of them ;)...
  11. P

Do Class-D amplifiers produce significantly less power at bass frequencies?

As it seems, they do produce less power at bass frequencies - at least the S-PRO2 does. Here's a chart by Anselm Goertz who measured the power output of the Pascal S-PRO2 under different circumstances: 1 kHz continuous sine input and it delivers the rated 500 W for over 10 seconds, same with...
  12. P

Pascal S-PRO2 into 6-ohm load - which setting and how much power?

Hi, A few days ago I received a Pascal S-PRO2 amplifier which I intend to use for my 6 ohm Subwoofers (two 3 ohm drivers in series per box, 1000 W continuous power handling). Now the S-PRO2 is rated 1000W for both 4 ohm and 8 ohm loads in bridge mode. There's a switch that limits the output...
  13. P

Do Class-D amplifiers produce significantly less power at bass frequencies?

Hello everybody and greetings from Germany, I'm considering PASCAL S-PRO2 modules for my double bass subwoofer array. So I'm particularly interested in loads of bass frequency power at moderate distortion levels (1%). The official S-PRO2 datasheet claims there's no meaningful difference in...
Top Bottom