• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a preamp (+phono?) with digital output

pwnz

Right now my setup looks like this:

Soundcard SPDIF -> miniDSP OpenDRC-DA8 -> 8 power amplifiers (6 channels for active-3way-speakers + 2 channels for subwoofer array)

This is only for stereo music.

Now what I'm looking for is a way to listen to more sources than just my computer. I also have a CD player, turntable, network streamer and a random aux-cable for visitors. All with analogue RCA outputs, of course.

Does anyone know of a simple solution to this problem? I'm thinking of a classic hi-fi preamplifier (with an integrated phono preamp ideally) but with a stereo digital output (is that possible?) to directly feed the miniDSP OpenDRC-DA8. A remote for volume and source switching would be really nice, too.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Meridian have done several over the years as one of the first to have digital feeds to their active speakers. Something like the 562 or one of the G68 models perhaps?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yamaha wxc-50 plus external phono stage.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe get something like a passive attenuator?

Either way you can’t ‘amplify’ because you will clip the MiniDSP’s ADC.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use a passive pre-amp with several inputs and then go out to a RME ADI-2 Pro FS, you should be able to go out in S/PDIF.

Top Bottom