Recent content by printerlights

1. printerlights

Motu M2 output signal... vs Audient id14

Just sharing my experience, not trying to make any concrete scientific claims. FWIW there is more to experiencing audio then can be reflected in measurements alone.
  2. printerlights

Motu M2 output signal... vs Audient id14

I used an M2 as my primary dac for several years, and I was completely stunned when I switched to a "hifi" dac a few months ago. Even though the M2 measures quite well, somehow my DX3 Pro+ has a MUCH more focused center image and a fuller sounding midrange when directly A/B'd with the MOTU...
  3. printerlights

SMSL D-6 "SC" modes

I'm curious if anyone can offer any insight to what the "SC" modes on the SMSL D-6 actually do, since they're not mentioned anywhere on the manual or online. Which SC mode is the off/neutral/flat mode?
  4. printerlights

Better to get an all-in-one device or multiple devices?

Looks like the Funk would be decent for a small room/nearfield setup, but you might want something with more power for any other application.
  5. printerlights

A pair of powered monitors would be the most convenient solution, but if you really like how your RP400Ms sound then you may want to consider a more powerful amp than the A30. Check out the SMSL A300 or something similar.
  6. printerlights

If you double-press the knob on the front you can cycle between headphone and line out
  7. printerlights

You may want to look into using a combo dac/headphone amplifier paired with a dedicated power amplifier for speakers. When you want to switch from headphones to speakers all you have to do is switch your dac/headphone amp to line out mode. Something like a DX3 Pro+ would work great, has built...
  8. printerlights

Is the SMSL AO200 a true "Digital Amplifier"? (or do the analog inputs bypass its built in dac?)

Understood, I'm just talking about an integrated amplifier converting an analog signal into digital at all for processing, I understand that there is no such thing as digital amplification.
  9. printerlights

Is the SMSL AO200 a true "Digital Amplifier"? (or do the analog inputs bypass its built in dac?)

https://audiot.co.uk/p-24443-technics-su-g30eb-s-network-amplifier-technics-audio-t.aspx "Inheriting the reference-class audio technology concept, the JENO Engine transmits and processes audio signals in full digital and with minimal jitter from the input stage to the power stage." "Supporting...
  10. printerlights

I understand, but there are some amplifiers which convert all inputs signals back to digital for processing and then back out to analog, and I'm asking if the AO200 is one of those amps
  11. printerlights

This documentation looks as if the chip itself only has analog inputs, so I assume if theres any AD/DA going on it would have to be something SMSL implemented themselves, which seems unlikely. Looks like "digital" is just marketing speak for the USB/BT inputs
  12. printerlights

My understanding is that a true digital amplifier will convert any analog signal you feed it to digital and then back out to analog again, the AO200 does have a USB input (so it definitely has a DAC) but I'm wondering if the RCA/XLR inputs bypass any sort of AD - DA round trip and are only being...
  13. printerlights

I'm wondering if the analog inputs on the AO200 bypass its built in dac? All of the marketing material for the AO200 calls the unit a "Digital Amplifier," but that would imply that every signal going through the amp is converted to digital before amplification, is there a way to test if the...
  14. printerlights

Topping PA3s, any difference between the balanced vs unbalanced input?

Is anyone out there using their PA3s single ended? I'm curious if anyone can speak to any differences in quality/power when feeding the PA3s from an RCA input. I'm planning on pairing a PA3s with an unbalanced DX3 Pro+, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pick up a balanced dac.
Top Bottom