Recent content by pastorbarrett

1. P

Rega - light and rigid ethos

Hi folks. I'm curious about Rega's design ethos favoring material lightness and rigidity like on their new Naia deck, versus the heavy mass decks so often seen. Intuitively, I can't seem to get my head around this engineering approach. Heavy mass seems like a more obvious solution to forgo...
  2. P

Tools and Apps for Turntable Measurements

Are there apps beyond RPM etc, useful for appraising TT performance? Thanks.
  3. P

Paradox Phono 70 Signature Preamp - oh my

At the very least, the manufacturer is forthcoming with their design choices. I'm ok with that. Fancy parts, oil caps etc etc I know I can look to the likes of Lehmann for good measured performance.
  4. P

Inside Yamaha amps

No, prior to publication of his review he relayed to Yamaha his subjective listening impressions, which they corroborated as matching their design brief, namely prominent treble, mid bass...I just thought it interesting and curious that they would offer such a confirmation.
  5. P

Inside Yamaha amps

Curiously, one of the prominent YouTube reviewers noted he had corresponded with the Yamaha engineer responsible for this latest series of these amps and relayed that they purposefully had gone for an FR with boosted bass and treble energy. If I'm not mistaken, does the stereophile review of...
  6. P

Uncoloured phono cartridges

Some missing music in Oye Como Va for Art9XA...I'll try download again.
  7. P

Is there some corruption in file? Maybe my download? Seems there may be some issues with some songs. Thanks again.
  8. P

Yep, was referring to the first rip post. Have yet to give the 9XA a listen
  9. P

OK, useless subjective impressions incoming - cartridge B is more amenable to my ears and/or system. As a value proposition, whichever it is, the AT is good, if not great, depending on outcome!
  10. P

Appreciate the considerable efforts! Will post back later after listening, thanks again
  11. P

@watchnerd Apologies, I was lazily abbreviating though have passively followed this and other phono threads here of late with interest. I have my own assumptions on theVM 540 vs MP500 given the decent measurements on both already, but will listen with interest. All that said, the VM540 does...
  12. P

@watchnerd Especially interested to hear a comparison between the VM540ml and the Art 9, if the inclination and opportunity for some rips arise.
  13. P

Test and Measurement request for Turntables and Cartridges.

As an aside, when folks talk about a particular cartridge being 'quiet in the groove', assuming correct alignment etc, is it fair to say it's just the frequency response of said cart? Ie high frequency roll-off?
  14. P

Test and Measurement request for Turntables and Cartridges.

The latest Puffin update included a real-time setting with seemingly effective noise/crackle suppression. Good reports elsewhere.
  15. P

Harbeth Super HL5+

Contrary to the usual narrative, I actually find the SHL5 Plus a fatiguing listen. I'm guessing it's due to driver materials, some sort of break-up resonances. I note that folks that like them are typically more mature. I suspect that if your hearing is good beyond 10 khz they have some...
Top Bottom