Recent content by NicksDad

1. NicksDad

New member with new gear. What now?

My wife is fond of telling me "great is the enemy of good" and your comments remind me of that. I've been enjoying my stereo for the past few hours. Looking for ways to super-enjoy them may be a fools errand.
  2. NicksDad

Thanks for all that. I've known for a while that Apple Music delivery isn't the pinnacle of purity, but the good news is I really can't hear the difference between CD- and higher-than-CD quality (or at least not easily). Probably has to do with my age. Last month I started a trial of Amazon...
  3. NicksDad

I’m paying monthly for Apple Music and have a library and playlists built out. The Apple TV streams directly from Apple Music (nothing passes through my phone), so I guess it would be roughly equivalent to other streaming platforms, with maybe differences in real or perceived audio quality?
  4. NicksDad

That's nifty, and it would be another piece of Yamaha gear. :)
  5. NicksDad

This is brilliant! Thanks!
  6. NicksDad

I'm down for tweaking the sound I have, so a mic would come in handy. I'll spend the next couple weeks evaluating what all needs to be done there. That's a door I didn't expect to open at the beginning of this thread, but it's already sounding like fun. I hadn't thought of adding a second set...
  7. NicksDad

Ha! I love this response, and there's no harm in getting another instrument (we've got a guitar, keyboard, bongos, ukulele, and a drum set already). A couple months ago I decided to scratch the 2ch itch and started looking at what $500 would get me. Then I increased the budget to $1000, then...
  8. NicksDad

My streaming provider is only Apple Music at the moment, but I've had trials of Amazon Music, Tidal, and Spotify in the past few months. My biggest issues is I'm old and lazy, so I want to have one platform that works with my phone, Apple TV, and CarPlay. Plus, we have a family subscription and...
  9. NicksDad

Unfortunately, the TV needs to be on to complete the signal path. I could add a streamer/AirPlay device between the TV and amp, though. I'll have to see how badly I want it first. Thanks for seconding the REW recommendation.
  10. NicksDad

Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP Flex. I'll definitely look into it, along with REW. This is exactly the kind of product recommendation I was looking for. As I was Googling I also ran across the HiFiBerry DAC+ DSP hat I could slap on top of one of my Pis. It might be a fun way to get my feet wet.
  11. NicksDad

I'm quite happy with the amp for the moment, but the idea of a DSP interests me. Years ago I had a Pioneer DEH-80PRS car stereo configured for 3-way (high, mid, low) with a nice set of component speakers and subs. The first time I used the auto-tuning DSP it almost blew my mind. I can see where...
  12. NicksDad

Thanks, Jim. I've mainly listened to music in my car or with headphones for the past couple of decades, so having this gear has definitely opened the music door a bit wider. Nothing really beats open air audio. I do like this setup.
  13. NicksDad

Nice to meet you! What were you comparing the Topping DAC to? I'm happy to try one if a difference is easily heard. The Wiim Pro might come in handy for listening to music with the TV off. Thanks!
  14. NicksDad

Hi, everyone! First post here after lurking for several weeks. Gotta give this group credit for some great material. Quick background: I'm 54 years old and, while I don't consider myself an audiophile, I do like for music to sound good. Nostalgia has been creeping up on me for a few years and I...
Top Bottom