Recent content by narx

1. N

Best microphone preamp to USB converter under US$500

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to-optimize-your-windows-10-pc-for-music-production Totally off topic, but 3 and 4 may be relevant to the issue you had with the Evo4.
  2. N

Best microphone preamp to USB converter under US$500

If you're patient you can probably find a used Babyface Pro (non-FS) for <$500. I got a brand new one for right around that shortly before they released the FS. $500 may be more than you need to spend for your use case though. Since you're only using it for room sweeps, it seems like the...
  3. N

I upgraded my computer CPU and other components. Now it sounds better. Why?

Could be any number of things happening with the session... Have you verified that all of the plugins are installed and authorized? Some plugins will pass the DAW's scanning process but not actually work until you open an instance, authorize it, and then reopen the session. Also, given that...
  4. N

Yeah. It’s unlikely. But, for example, there are plugins that have different user-selectable “quality“ settings to allow you to manually adjust the prioritization of dsp precision vs realtime performance. And there’s plenty of asshole design out there. It doesn’t seem out of the question to me...
  5. N

Are you hearing it on playback of recorded music or just on your own projects? If you’re pushing the system to the limit with realtime processing in your DAW, you might actually be hearing something real. Different DAWs will fail in different ways when your CPU runs out of resources - some will...
  6. N

Reviews of music production equipment and electronic instruments?

Yeah - no shortage of anecdotes on black lion mods on the internet. My long-ago experience with the Digi002 mods they built their initial reputation on was subjectively good enough that I went for a modded unit when I got the secondhand UFX, and it's been nothing but a pleasure to use. But I...
  7. N

Reviews of music production equipment and electronic instruments?

There was recently a trainwreck of a thread at Gearspace (previously Gearslutz) about sending music production equipment to Amir. It got me wondering what the appetite here is for this kind of stuff. There are a handful of "Pro Audio" oriented pieces of gear that have been measured here (mostly...
  8. N

We are ready to launch an upgraded version of A07 Pro. Can you tell us what functions do you hope to add to A07?

https://www.aiyima.com/products/amplifier-aiyima-a08-tpa3255?variant=33044336541771 Is this it? If so I'm glad I didn't wait :p
  9. N

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

This diagram on their produt page makes it look like the analog input runs through the dsp, which suggests to me that the signal gets converted to digital and back to analog even if the eq is flat. What are you seeing or hearing that makes you think that's not the case?
  10. N

@daniboun is it possible to bypass the DSP on the 3e unit? Looks great, but I'm a bit skeptical about adding a round of a/d d/a.
  11. N

We are ready to launch an upgraded version of A07 Pro. Can you tell us what functions do you hope to add to A07?

Agreed, but I guess the reality is that different people have a different idea about what is extra. To me, a sub out, crossover, and headphone amp are examples of things that turn a simple stereo amp into an all-in-one kind of unit. The things that seem indisputably essential to me are two...
  12. N

To summarize, These items are requsted by several of us, with no one suggesting you avoid: PFFB Built-in (or sold with) power supply Improved components (especially op amps) Clearer documentation of performance specs These have also been requested without other requests to avoid, but by fewer...
  13. N

+1 I think I'll pass on this. It's not an improvement over wiring a raw Mean Well, especially given that it's using an ungrounded AC cable.
  14. N

I'm thinking this doesn't look much more complex than wirings switches and outlets and such, but I'm certainly open to being wrong and asking for help. Seems like it should be as simple as this, no?: DC plug inner: + DC Plug outer: - Wall Hot: L Wall Neutral: N Wall Ground: Ground Connect one...
  15. N

Looks good. Similar to the Mean Well but a bit heftier (and pricier). Are you planning to house it in something?
Top Bottom