Recent content by mansr

1. mansr

How does the THD change when turning down the volume?

That is only true if you're not using dither. With proper dither, distortion goes away. However, since the noise level is constant, the SNR drops as the signal level goes down.
  2. mansr

Why are modern AV Receivers so terrible?

The software that applies a user-specified filter to the music. Something equivalent to the "filter" function in Matlab.
  3. mansr

Huh? If the filter engine supports IIR filters, you can input any FIR filter simply by setting the denominator to 1. The FIR equivalent of an IIR filter can of course be infinitely long. That's why it's called infinite impulse response.
  4. mansr

The transfer function of a discrete-time LTI system is the quotient of two polynomials in z. If the denominator is 1, it has finite impulse response (FIR). Otherwise, the impulse response is potentially infinite. A filter engine capable of using IIR filters can thus also use FIR filters.
  5. mansr

A FIR filter is an IIR filter with the denominator equal to 1.
  6. mansr

FIR is a special case of IIR.
  7. mansr

As opposed to what?
  8. mansr

Negative feedback bad for audio?

So attenuate the signal first. What's that, are you saying it won't work? Speak up, I can barely hear you over the noise.
  9. mansr

I've contemplated tapping the I2S signals in my Marantz AVR to feed a better DAC, at least for the front L/R pair. Haven't got around to actually doing it.
  10. mansr

Please buy safe audio gear

It would be nice if they adapted the sockets ever so slightly to accept the flat "Euro" plugs.
  11. mansr

Negative feedback bad for audio?

Negative feedback turns a high-gain amplifier with poor linearity into a lower-gain amplifier with much better linearity. This works very well as long as the delay in the feedback loop is short compared to the signal frequency. If the input frequency is too high, strange things can happen. For...
  12. mansr

Please buy safe audio gear

I wish those things had a locking version. Then again, they're already far more robust than the US power plug. That's one of the things Britain does well. Once inserted, that pound of solid brass yields to no one.
  13. mansr

Serious question-How do you deal with people thinking a DAC has a SOUND SIGNATURE?

Which is more important, frequency response or linearity?
  14. mansr

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Switch Review

The trouble is that he presents difficult to understand things without understanding them.
Top Bottom