Recent content by Maes Hughes

1. Maes Hughes

Do Premium Headphone Cables Make an Audible Difference? Norne Audio Cable Review (video)

Is it bad that Amir's video review made me want one of those cables? Soft, flexible, lightweight, and don't make the headphones worse. Anyone know if they have decent strain relief around the connectors?
  2. Maes Hughes

Focal Celestee FR impressions

Thank you for giving it a look. Must have been an issue with how these things fit on my large head.
  3. Maes Hughes

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

The issue, in the majority of cases, doesn't have anything to do with the sound being produced by the driver. Different pressure than you are thinking, sealing pressure(not sure if this is the proper term) not SPL. For people that are sensitive to this, they will notice this without anything...
  4. Maes Hughes

I had the same issue with the Ether and I had to make a vented mounting bracket (that attached to the main body of the headphone and you attach the pads to) for the LCD series to make it work. The LCD didn't seem to mind being venting in terms of overall frequency response. Unfortunately, the...
  5. Maes Hughes

The air pressure generated from the seal and clamp pressure exerts force on your eardrum. Normally this is self regulated, but if you have a sensitivity to this pressure it will cause some pain and discomfort. For me the only solve was making vents for headphones that did this. (if they don't...
  6. Maes Hughes

It could possibly be sensitivity to the front volume sealing pressure that these and other planars use. I cannot use the dan clark headphones without pain for this very reason. (which is a shame because the form factor and weight is class leading) I have also encountered this on audeze lcd type...
  7. Maes Hughes

Help me act rationally about headphones

I use Etymotic in a professional setting quite often. We have all swapped out to foam Chinese tips (similar to the tips on tin t2s) for them and they are significantly more comfortable. Amazon and alibaba have them just have to pick the correct barrel size. Etymotic also released a dual flange...
  8. Maes Hughes

Focal Celestee FR impressions

Got my pre-order pair in. After Crin gutted them, I was a little shaken. Luckily in the end these ended up being on of the few headphones that my taste didn't line up with his on. About a 70/30 agree/differ ratio for me personally on headphones. I think these headphones are probably going to...
  9. Maes Hughes

Low distortion headphone for use with EQ

I can address a few issues partly. In general, the closer the natural FR is to your preferred target for headphones the easier it will be to get a satisfactory result with eq(assuming distortion is within the non audible relm). Depending on your experience adding bass shelves and peak nulling...
  10. Maes Hughes

DAC + Amp suggestion for HD800s, LCD-2F?

If you don't need any of the special features of the RME ADI-2 DAC those separates would be a nice alternative. The Monoprice thx aaa-887 in particular is a stellar unit that would easily be a purchase once and your done type of item. I personally might still consider the RME for the support...
  11. Maes Hughes

The most comfortable headphones: a) Open b) Closed

Another vote for Meze Empyrean on the open side. They are more comfortable than having nothing on my head at all. Closed for me are ZMF Atticus with magnesium hardware for weight reduction.
  12. Maes Hughes

Sundara, HD660S or Aeon RT?

For longevity, I still have a launch HD650 with 10000 plus hours on it. Still works great. All the 6X0 headphones are execellent and likely something that would be a permanent part of your collection. The new HD 560S might also be worth consideration. It has a bit less warm tuning with some...
  13. Maes Hughes

What headphones would you like Amir to measure next?

Meze Empyrean ZMF (any of them) +1 Stax (any of them) +1 Hifiman Sundara +1 Focal Utopia +1 Senn HD 560S
Top Bottom