Recent content by LightninBoy

1. LightninBoy

Working With Non-Technical People

Ok, I'll share this little ditty I created for our corporate agile training ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/fjyylnosvb65dbd/ImJustAStory.Final.flac?dl=0
  2. LightninBoy

Working With Non-Technical People

Probably everyone has seen this sketch, but just in case not ...
  3. LightninBoy

Kali Audio IN-8v1 3-Way Studio Monitor Review

Thanks for posting the data. I hope the buyer wasn't scammed.
  4. LightninBoy

Harbeth Monitor 30 Speaker Review

Yes, I had one from the 90s. The loudness knob worked brilliantly.
  5. LightninBoy

Harbeth Monitor 30 Speaker Review

Audiophile: I want my system to replicate a live performance Also Audiophile: I listen at 60dB. Seriously though, I think your phone is not accurate. 60dB is really quiet - for example an acoustic guitar 10ft away is louder than that.
  6. LightninBoy

Best headphones for Rock/Metal under $2K

Look promising. Expensive, but not completely ridiculous price. Looking forward to Amir's review of these.
  7. LightninBoy

Benchmark AHB2 / Class D Purifi Eigentakt / Mark Levinson 333 - Listening impression & Conclusion

The premise of this question is false. Most objectivist (I would say "all" if they are truly objectivist) know they are influenced by such things. Yes.
  8. LightninBoy

Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000 Review (Headphone)

Yeah, just like when they stopped putting Brawndo on plants ...
  9. LightninBoy

Decent headset for office use (telephony+music)

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/skullcandy/grind-wireless I love these headphones but rarely get to recommend them. But your use case is similar to mine when I bought these. They have become my everyday headphones. Only 30$ now on Amazon.
  10. LightninBoy

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

That would raise my "too good to be true" flags , so I appreciate you sharing your positive experience. If I had the room, I'd jump all over this deal.
  11. LightninBoy

JBL 306P MK II Review (Studio Monitor)

I believe this would be your best option. Looking at amir's graphs the vertical directivity is even below the tweeter (which would be above the tweeter when turned upside down). Also I had them upside down for a while with tweeters slightly below ear level. Sounded and measured great. But you...
  12. LightninBoy

What is the point of buying expensive headphones if you can just use an equalizer to get the same frequency response on cheap ones?

Agree that comfort is critical and why its #1 in my list. It is also subjective and can be unique to each person, which is why I kind of disregarded it when filtering the ASR review list. I don't see the HD600, HD650, HD6xx as wasting money. I once thought they were overpriced but my opinion...
  13. LightninBoy

What is the point of buying expensive headphones if you can just use an equalizer to get the same frequency response on cheap ones?

Some examples from the ASR review database alone. 3 if non EQ performance is critical (stricter interpretation of "Basically follows the Harman curve"). 12 if non EQ'd performance isn't critical (looser interpretation of "Basically following the Harman curve")
  14. LightninBoy

What’s wrong with this set up?

Not sure you can get better than that. If you just care about listening to music with with transparent playback and don't want to make headphones a hobby - this probably nails it and you are done. That said, if you want to experiment with "different" (not necessarily better) you can add a good...
  15. LightninBoy

IMO, The 3 fundamental things to look for in headphones are: 1. Comfort 2. Basically follows the Harman curve 3. Low distortion giving you headroom to EQ to taste You can get all 3 for less than $400. Sometimes much less.
Top Bottom