Recent content by kinghrothgar

1. kinghrothgar

Quality differences across various FLAC stores (Bandcamp, Qobuz, etc.)

Back in the day I worked at music streaming service, and I know back then, Pandora, early Spotify, and we often had to do our own ripping of CDs, labels wouldn't send us files directly. As such each service's rip varied a lot depending on what software, arguments, etc they were using. A lot has...
  2. kinghrothgar

Streamer with HDMI ARC, Multichannel, Roon support

I got the RPi 4 and messed with it for a while with no luck. I tried to get it working with Archlinux (my preferred distro) but ran into lots of issues, more with Arch Arm specifically, not with the originally raised concern of HDMI support. In the meantime I pivoted to just running a 50 ft...
  3. kinghrothgar

Exclusive mode and OS wide EQ

So I had been using exclusive mode in Roon (on Mac OS X) for a bit now. I was about to start doing some REW measurements with my fancy new UMIK-2 when it dawned on me that exclusive mode results in my equalization settings (in SoundSource) being bypassed. This led me to wonder a few things: How...
  4. kinghrothgar

I was planning on going with with a Raspberry Pi 4 but apparently getting 24 bit audio out of the HDMI is pretty fiddly. I went a head and ordered on to test it out, we'll see. Wouldn't mind a pre packaged solution if it exists though. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/4204.
  5. kinghrothgar

I've been looking around for options for a streamer with HDMI ARC for multichannel output and have been struggling to find a well reviewed one in my price range, around $400 or less. Does this exist? My understand is that HDMI ARC is needed to support uncompressed multichannel digital output. It...
  6. kinghrothgar

Denon avr vs minidsp ddrc24

As I am someone who takes the time to read through and attempt to understand reviews as in-depth amirm's, would it not be strange for me to totally disregard them and buy the worst rated DAC ever reviewed by him? I can't tell you if I could hear it because I don't have the luxury of testing...
  7. kinghrothgar

Denon avr vs minidsp ddrc24

I'm currently trying to build pretty much the exact same system (3.2) in the most affordable way. My current 2.2 setup: TV -> TOSLINK-> miniDSP 2x4HD Parasound A23 -> ELAC DBR-62's 2 x HSU ULS-15 mk2 (sealed 15" subwoofers, crossed over at 150Hz) With my build out I want to add Live DIRAC and...
  8. kinghrothgar

Alternatives to Klipsch RP-600M

I recently started building out a dual purpose sound system from scratch and for the first time with enough money to actually buy new. I do about 50% music 50% home theater. Current setup: miniDSP 2x4HD (using optical input from TV) Parasound A23 (125wpc 8ohm, 225wpc 4ohm) Klipsch RP-600M 2 x...
Top Bottom