Recent content by jumos

1. J

Any point to upgrade DAC power supply?

I run mine with a Meanwell 12V/5A brick, works nicely, that OEM is considered one of the better ones. I think it was around 30-40$ when I got it but I already had it sitting around. I do feel it helps slightly versus that cell phone charger included but have not actually even bothered with the...
  2. J

Good Dac / Nice DAC and VU meter

I have TEAC AX-505...both that one and its non-integrated cousin have that exact look you (and I) want. They also sound, and measure extremely well, being built on Hypex Ncore modules inside. Unfortunately their matching DAC doesn't have VU meters. Theyre also not very cheap at about $1500 USD
  3. J

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

Just fired up my Cowon Plenue D2 DAP (CS43131) with Senal studio monitor headphones (clones of the ubiquitous Sony monitors). I do tend to listen to bass heavy stuff such as classic dubstep. For a bass test I played one of my favorite foundational dubstep tunes off the seminal Tempa label, D1...
  4. J

Yes, minimalist is good for me also. USB-only, but IMO balanced out is 100% necessary for USB DAC especially, it is the only way to reliably mitigate ground loop issues, something I've dealt with on several DACs before, and is no fun. Shciitt modius is a nice minimal unit at a good price point...
  5. J

Price is a bit higher than expected, however I think I will be buying this to upgrade my shcitt modius. My cowon plenue D2 has cirrus based DACs and I actually do enjoy the sound of it quite a bit, it does seem a bit more detail and tighter than the AKM based dacs I have (JDS OL DAC, Modius)...
  6. J

Upgrading from ODAC+Gustard H10 to A90/D90 -- is it worth it?

for what its worth, ive been a fan of JDSlabs for a while, I have their original odac rev A and also OL DAC, both of which they claimed transparent and objective and all that, I had them for years and really enjoyed the sound. But recently got a modius and the difference was huge. Whether that...
  7. J

Is it worth upgrading iems? If it is not then which ones should i buy?

Heard about Tin Hifi T4? I got my pair on preorder when they came out and been pretty happy, using them with comply tips. To be fair, I am not so big on headphones or IEMs and usually go for speakers, but I actually prefer the etymotic style iem that goes deep in the ear, which most IEMs are...
  8. J

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

I put some downward pressure on the cable to bend the socket into place, so it looks pretty much normal now. Honestly, if the dac cost more than what it did, I would have sent it back for a refund immediately and not even bothered. When I originally got it though the socket on the PCB was...
  9. J

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

Got my Modius in a couple weeks back. First of all I had heard about Schitt's Schitty quality control and I can indeed confirm this-- the microUSB jacks for power were not correctly aligned with their holes in the chassis. Funny enough I have had more QC issues with USA built gear from...
Top Bottom