Recent content by jsrtheta

1. jsrtheta

“The Sensible Sound” magazine the ASR forum of pre-internet days?

Not a lot of hills in Chicago.
  2. jsrtheta

AR was very much a Massachusetts thing. That's the market they were aiming for, and they hit the bull's eye.
  3. jsrtheta

This was the magazine I actually trusted. Also, Stereo Review, Audio (sometimes).
  4. jsrtheta

Audio Note speakers

Whereas I never heard any bad Snells.
  5. jsrtheta

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

They were actually so great it was spooky. Took me a while, though.
  6. jsrtheta

I started listening to Beefheart pretty early, but Trout Mask Replica was beyond me. Later saw them on a pretty strange triple bill: The New York Dolls, Larry Coryell, and Beefheart. They played all of Clear Spot, and next thing I knew I was up dancing like a maniac. Everything clicked, and it...
  7. jsrtheta

I never got the Dylan thing either. My sister loved him, but that was when he first got big. His voice would drive me screaming out of the room. He's a kind of leitmotif in Elvis Costello's book. But Elvis gets all kinds of stuff I don't, so the problem must be mine.
  8. jsrtheta

Do CD players sound different to each other?

This is anecdotal, but true. I did a double blind test of a Theta DS Pro Gen Va (massively overbuilt, about $8k new) against a PS Audio DL-3 (PS' bottom rung). DAC chips were, IIRC, Burr Brown PCM63PK in the Theta, Burr Brown PCM1702 in the PS Audio. Couldn't reliably distinguish between the...
  9. jsrtheta

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

I suspect his attorney will tell him to shut up and cool it. In U.S. there are a number of ways to have a suit dismissed by a court. "Failure to state a claim" is my personal fave. And it is not unheard of for a judge to look at the plaintiff's attorney and say, "Are you kidding me?"
  10. jsrtheta

Courts don't like frivolous lawsuits. At all.
  11. jsrtheta

I don't think there will be a lawsuit.
  12. jsrtheta

Stop Making Sense.
  13. jsrtheta

Sure, but a decent lawyer can write a letter and likely end this. And tipping that you don't want to hire an attorney might only encourage the guy. Truth is still a defense, too.
  14. jsrtheta

Yeah, the problem is that it would be such an idiotic lawsuit. And is it possible to "besmirch" Fremer's reputation? Impossibility is a defense, I believe.
  15. jsrtheta

There are numerous defenses that can likely kill any such case. Talk to an attorney and hand the case to him or her. Civil procedure provides numerous challenges to civil suits. Defamation is mostly, I think, a state court issue, not federal, but there are ways for a case to go federal. And...
Top Bottom