Recent content by jsrtheta

1. jsrtheta

Extreme Snake Oil

Which is why The Drones Club was invented.
  2. jsrtheta

Half of my Audioquest RCA interconnects failed

I had some RCA interconnects years ago that had threaded barrels on the plugs, which you could tighten, to ensure they couldn't be easily disconnected, and loosen, to remove them safely without pulling the RCA jacks clear out of the component. Which can happen with cheap, lower-quality amps...
  3. jsrtheta

Half of my Audioquest RCA interconnects failed

I didn't know that was even possible. I have 30-year-old interconnects in 1 meter and 2 meter. They sound fine, which is to say, like any other competently designed and manufactured cables.
  4. jsrtheta

Old CD's on New Hardware

In the section you excerpted I clearly refer to Michael Fremer's statements, so obviously I have "heard" of "disc rot". I've been listening to and collecting CDs for about 35 years. I have never heard nor seen actual "disc rot".
  5. jsrtheta

Old CD's on New Hardware

Very true. They were jamming music on CDs as fast as they could, and they weren't particularly discriminating about it. There was a fortune to be made. There was an addiction aspect, too. A lot of people at the beginning just wanted CDs, a lot, and bought a ton of them.
  6. jsrtheta

Old CD's on New Hardware

My friend didn't record that. I do know that Billy Corgan took the tapes with him every night - he didn't let anyone touch them. That might indicate he was extremely attentive to exactly was and wasn't on the finished product, but that's just a guess. I never personally met him, though I saw the...
  7. jsrtheta

Power Cords and Sound

Some makers spell out in their manuals that the power cord you get with the piece is fine, and you certainly don't need to spend additional money. I've also seen statements about there being no need for power conditioners.
  8. jsrtheta

Who thought this was good idea?

Having worked in law enforcement in Chicago, I can tell you that ER doctors have endless stories about this. Cops, too. I'll leave it with that.
  9. jsrtheta

Old CD's on New Hardware

There's also the issue of preemphasis, which I have not seen addressed here. Vinyl used preemphasis because of the loss of high frequency response. My question is to what extent did CDs do this, since preemphasis was irrelevant to digital recording and could only do harm? Years ago I had a...
  10. jsrtheta

Does Over Exceeded Amplifier Volume Damage Speaker?

NEVER trust your guests with the volume knob. In fact, don't even let them near the volume knob.
  11. jsrtheta

Old CD's on New Hardware

It's a cliche, but having grown up with vinyl, I'll still never forget the sense of wonder I felt when I heard my first CD. The only downside was replacing all my LPs with CDs. But that hurt only financially: the ability to hear everything on each album for the first time was like Christmas...
  12. jsrtheta

Old CD's on New Hardware

I don't know where your CDs are made, but mine go back to the '80s and sound the same today as they did then. Michael Fremer tried to convince people of "CD rot", but we just pointed and laughed. And turned the volume up.
  13. jsrtheta

Audiolab 6000CDT experience

Yeah, if it's still under warranty, get them to fix it or replace it.
  14. jsrtheta

Audiolab 6000CDT experience

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I am (meaning, just about everyone else here) will chime in. But I will offer my thoughts in the meantime. It seems you have done the right thing and isolated the cause of the problem, the transport. Good work. It sounds to inexpert me like a ground...
  15. jsrtheta

Stereophile tested a Topping Pre90

Or they sound the same. Doesn't sound like a rigorous "protocol".
Top Bottom