Recent content by JohnnyN

1. J

Hypex NC252MP Speaker Amp - Connecting Two Sources

Hi all, Hoping for some help. I’m trying to figure out a way to connect two sources to a Hypex NC252MP speaker amp that has only one XLR input and no volume control. The two sources are: a turntable with RCA outs (Drop + Audio-Technica VTA Carbon Turntable (I just pre-ordered it)) and an iPad...
  2. J

JBL Studio 520C Center review (by Erin)

I do not, but I plan on buying another in the future and will let you know!
  3. J

JBL Studio 520C Center review (by Erin)

I’ve found that the Hsu CCB-8 makes a solid center speaker. But over time the best center speaker solution for me has been to just remove it and use L/R only. For me dialogue sounds most natural in stereo. Plus, for most movies/TV shows, most of the sound is being routed to the center channel...
  4. J

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Appreciate the response very much. What benefit does adding the Magnius or something like it to the chain provide? Would it help avoid loss of power? For further context, I’m planning to use the PA5 with a pair of JBL Studio 530. Will be in a fairly large living room/dining room area with...
  5. J

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Hi all, I’m looking into purchasing the PA5 for a set-up incorporating a turntable. Can someone please recommend some sufficient phono pre-amps for use with this? Also, I’m not expecting the phono pre-amps to have TRS output. So what’s the solve here—is it okay to use an RCA to TRS cable (or...
  6. J

Look Inside JBL Studio 580

Hi all, I'm between the JBL Studio 580 and the Studio 570 for R/L for home theater set-up. I've read that the 570s are better for smaller rooms and the 580s for medium/larger sized rooms, but I'm not sure which would be better suited for my room, which is about 15 feet deep by 20 feet wide...
  7. J

Sivga Phoenix Review (headphone)

Can someone please explain the two low shelves to me? What does the 2db shelf at 45hz do that the 2db shelf at 90hz isn’t already accomplishing? I’ve just recently started to EQ my headphones and so I’m trying to gain a greater understanding.
  8. J

DIY Passive Speaker Kit for First Timer (Near-Field on Desk)

Yeah, I’m realizing that low volume is probably the key detail here, since it’s for an office and I’ll almost always be listening at very low volumes. I think you’re right—at the volumes I’ll be listening at, I’ll likely be missing out on some refinement/detail no matter the speaker I choose. So...
  9. J

DIY Passive Speaker Kit for First Timer (Near-Field on Desk)

Hi all, Does anyone have a DIY passive speaker kit recommendation for a first timer? This would be for use near-field on a desk. In my office at work, so something that sounds good at low volumes. I listen to a wide variety of music and listen to a lot of hip-hop, so a speaker with little bass...
  10. J

SMSL DA9 - Wait and see, or solid buy?

Yeah, I have the Loxjie A30 built around the same chip as the DA-9 and l like it a lot (for the reasons PatentLawyer mentioned - very clear and quiet). For whatever reason, I like the fact that when I put my ear to the tweeters of my speakers I almost hear nothing. So I know I’d enjoy the DA-9...
  11. J

Looks like Sabaj has a very similar unit--Sabaj A20a. https://hifi-express.com/collections/sabaj/products/sabaj-a20a-balanced-stereo-power-amplifier-nw1194-class-d-amp
  12. J

I’m planning on buying the Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC. Yeah, agree the DA-9 is a way more convenient product. If I went with the Hypex amp, I’d likely wind up adjusting the volume on my source (an iPad mini) or the DAC, so definitely not as convenient for me. So I’ve been debating whether it’s worth the...
  13. J

Thanks for your response, RikB. If I’m understanding correctly, then if the DA-9 measures close to spec (and it appears as if it would), then the DA-9 is providing 90w into 4 ohm and 50w into 8 ohm, while the Hypex provides 103w into 4 ohm and 55w into 8 ohm, per Amir’s measurements? Is that a...
  14. J

Would this compete with a Hypex NCore NC122MP amplifier? I'm looking for an amplifier for a small living room for a pair of 86db speakers. Currently using a Loxjie A30, but I’m going to use that near-field on a desktop and so need to replace it. I’m between the SMSL DA-9 and Audiophonics’ Hypex...
  15. J

Interesting - didn't realize the addition of a second chip could have that large of an effect / is similar to a bridged set-up. Another thing that's interesting: the listed specs of the SMSL DA-8S (with the single chip) are 80w into 4 ohm, 40w into 2 ohm. So perhaps SMSL decided to take a more...
Top Bottom