Recent content by Jmsent

1. J

New Magico M7 speakers

In speaking with the folks at both SEAS and ScanSpeak at Axpona last week, it looks like the era of beryllium dome tweeters may be coming to a screeching halt. Materion, the company that supplies the dome for these tweeters has now raised the price of a single diaphragm by a very substantial...
  2. J

New Magico M7 speakers

When I worked at SEAS, we sent some of our metal dome tweeters to the company that provided the vapor deposition diamond coating. When we measured them against the standard metal dome, we saw absolutely no difference in performance. I suppose it's possible that Magico is using a different...
  3. J

New Magico M7 speakers

From what I can see in the text, it look like that measurement was taken with the mic at 10cm distance from the tweeter diaphragm
  4. J

Any motorcyclists on this forum?

Dealer said around mid Feb, give or take. They do have a scrambler version called the 400x.
  5. J

It's got a balance shaft, so pretty smooth until you get to the higher revs...then some vibes. But nothing like the old days. I sure do remember those old British singles. They didn't call 'em thumpers for nothing. But even the old British parallel twins were pretty bad shakers. I had a BSA...
  6. J

The price of the Speed 400 is $5000 not $6000. I know this, because I just put a deposit on one. At that price, it is more than competitive in the marketplace. I'm trying to understand where your strong negative bias against this machine is coming from. It's gotten rave reviews by just about...
  7. J

Anyone read the latest from archimago's take on Stereophile editorial? Linked here:

There was no connection between KEF and Thiel. The oval thing people here are commenting on is a passive radiator, not a woofer. Thiel started out using custome Vifa and SEAS components. Around the time of the 2.4, Jim embarked on a project of doing his own drivers, because the OEM driver makers...
  8. J

My Problem With Inexpensive Electronics

I've owned 2 Miele dishwashers, and have relatives and friends who own them as well. We all agree that these dishwashers do an incredibly good job of cleaning dishes. Reviews of these machine say the same thing. I have no idea why yours wasn't doing the job, but one report of a poor result is...
  9. J

I started riding around age 16, prior to driving a car, and pretty much stopped at around age 35. The bikes I've owned: Honda S90-1965 Honda CB77 Super Hawk-1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler-1970 BSA Lightning-1967 Yamaha 750 Triple-1977 Yamaha 750-Seca-1980 Honda V45 Sabre-1982 Did a ton of local riding...
  10. J

NEW PURIFI 8'' MWoofer [PTT8.0X04]

Where would these be suitable in LX521? The only 8" is the lower midrange, and while this one may work, the ultra long throw is not needed. Besides that, the LM driver has already been updated to a new magnesium cone design with very low distortion. https://linkwitz.store/product/linkwitz-22mg/
  11. J

When I worked for Garrard

Get in contact with this company. They can put new rubber on the wheel for you. https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com
  12. J

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Junghans Max Bill
  13. J

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

I own one F & P product...a DCS stove. It's built like a tank and works great. It has no computers or timers. The only electronics are the spark ignitors. It's a good product, but the customer service, which was required due to damage during installation, was pretty lousy.
  14. J

What's the speaker of your dreams?

You're really doing those upper baffles in the hardest way possible. I admire your skills. Mine are simply cherry veneered ply with the wires neatly run on the back of the baffle. Nothing fancy. The Hairball xover works well, and I've used it for a few yrs. I just received and set up the new...
  15. J

What's the speaker of your dreams?

Why would you have nightmares? They're fantastic speakers. How will you be driving them, and which crossover are you planning on using?
Top Bottom