Recent content by jhwalker

1. J

Simple listening test for audiophiles

Interesting exercise - I can hear the differences, primarily because the voice moves from center-left to almost center (and back) when the changes happen. The sound also goes a tiny bit more "muffled" at the same time (i.e., less "transparent" sounding). Not going to list the exact moments...
  2. J

Great "live performance" recordings? (any genre)

Alison Kraus + Union Station Live Released on SACD and DVD some time back and still an incredible achievement, both in terms of recording and performance. One of my all-time favorites.
  3. J

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Wow. You're right: this is not debatable. You are wrong.
  4. J

Roon Nucleus One

I have not tried BluOS. I know one of the reasons Roon has always insisted on coordinating everything via the server is they believe the reliability of UPnP / DLNA is not sufficient to manage multiple endpoints, to keep them in-synch, etc. I have a "zone" set up in Roon that plays directly to...
  5. J

Harman acquires Roon

No, IF you're using scrolling to navigate your library, that's the way it works. However, I have a 12k album library, and I only ever use search to pull up albums - even on a fullscreen display (e.g., an iPad or MacBook screen), scrolling is WAY too inefficient. I also frequently Sort by...
  6. J

Roon Nucleus One

As long as they're both on the same network AND the streamer is supported (i.e., it supports RAAT input - i.e., is Roon-ready - or Chromecast OR AirPlay), sure. FWIW, my entire Roon ecosystem is wireless except for the "last mile" connection from my living Roon endpoint (in my case, a mini PC)...
  7. J

Roon Nucleus One

No. All streams go through the Roon server / core. It can then be distributed to endpoints with fairly sophisticated EQ, etc. (if desired), but the core MUST be up and running to use Roon at all.
  8. J

Roon Nucleus One

Interesting - I wasn't aware of this limitation. That said, my house is only 2,000sf - I would NEVER want to play different streams to different players at the same time - it would be cacophony! And since I live alone, I'd never even want to stream different music inside / outside; i.e., if...
  9. J

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Can you explain which of the multiple statements in the referenced post is "wrong"? I am also unaware of any TV currently produced that includes gig Ethernet. And since they obviously work with all the current streaming solutions, it's clear the 10 / 100 ports ARE sufficient for current...
  10. J

First measurements with HouseCurve app

If you don't have access to a room correction system (e.g., REW measurements + convolution in Roon, Audyssey / Dirac, etc., in a processor and / or receiver, etc.), positioning your subs properly is probably your best bet (and your first step even IF using RC). I'm no expert (my room really...
  11. J

REW measurement of 2.1 system - would you EQ and where/how?

Exactly - an actual measurement with no smoothing would look something like this. It almost looks like you don't actually have a microphone in use, but I don't think REW would let you measure without one LOL.
  12. J

First measurements with HouseCurve app

First, ignore the peak at 17k - you won't hear it. Second, focus on smoothing the response below 500 - THAT, you will hear. Once that's straightened out, you can look at the heightened response between 500-2k and the lowered response from 2k-5k. I leave that area alone (to me, that's kind of...
  13. J

active speaker with room correction that works with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

My first thought is the current Sonos line, but only two of the speakers available would fit into your $250 budget: Sonos Era 100 - https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/era-100 Sonos Move 2 - https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/move-2 Both support TruePlay (Sonos' room correction approach) and WiFi...
  14. J

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

He wasn't TALKING about frequencies above 9 kHz - he was talking about the clear and present DISTORTION at ALL frequencies (esp. 200-300 Hz and 4-5 kHz), already visible at 94 dB, unacceptable at 114 dB, and clipping even 1 dB higher. I'm pretty sure everyone here knows about the unreliability...
Top Bottom