Recent content by jcr159

1. J

Reel to Reel question... Not what you think...

Lol, I thought with digital I was done worrying about wow and flutter…. Now I’m trying to figure out if software can track it in background noise! 2 steps forward, 1 step back!
  2. J

Good stuff…. I’m thinking more like the sections with limited or no audio since it’s likely less continuous than music. I’ll check it out to see the price though. More tools in the toolbox are always good
  3. J

I’ll look into it, but can’t understand how it would do a good job without any sort of reference signaling to correct to. This is all home movie personal stuff, so quality is all over the place
  4. J

Yeah, better projector pickups were better, but without getting a quartz locked timing unit, the motors and drive parts have enough slip that it shows up in the audio…. Especially when syncing a perfectly captured video sequence it’s actually more obvious. ☹️
  5. J

Yep, these are the “mass market “ units that our custom solutions are crushing…. The only solutions commercially available that do better start in the $5k range. The main or issue with these units (known collectively as Wolverine units) is high compression, crappy white balance, and output that...
  6. J

Now we’re cooking with gas!
  7. J

No I’m in another rabbit hole, lol. I wonder what the signal level is coming off the head…. I’m sure the projectors don’t have great pre-amp sections. I wonder iff a budget phono amp would work as a replacement…
  8. J

Interesting idea…. Most of the image capture side is 3d printed and essentially uses an arduino to control a stepper motor to move the film, and trigger the camera to snap the frame. I wonder if I could reprogram to use the stepper motor to pull the film over a scavenged audio head
  9. J

fair point... I have over 5k feet of film to archive.... at several $ per foot, I can find other ways... Not to mention, if you want color correction and post processing you need to add more to the cost. pulling the sound is quite a bit more cost as well. I'm not looking for perfect (the...
  10. J

thanks for the responses... short version: there are lots of ways to capture the film image literally a frame at a time. think lots of pictures using a dslr, or raspberry pi setup, etc. this doesn't capture audio since the track is magnetic. the only devices that read that magnetic track...
  11. J

I have a bunch of Super 8 film with sound that I'm capturing and digitizing for archive. It mostly all has sound. Long story short, the only way I can find to pull the sound is the magnetic head in the projectors. They all have a lot of drift. (wow/flutter) This makes syncing audio later a...
  12. J

ChatGPT to calculate DIY speakers

This. I wish others would understand this better. None of the current "AI" works the way folks say. That is projecting your learning model upon the AI of your choice. The models don't understand sentence structure anymore than paint colors... they are given the option to "say" anything they...
  13. J

Preferred Target FR Curve

I don't think my post assumed anyone was using or not using dynamic volume features. I tried to point out that regardless, it is important to understand the playback levels, and whether dynamic volume features are in use when posting a "preference curve", otherwise the curve is essentially...
  14. J

Preferred Target FR Curve

then you are doing something wrong... If i change playback level 5 dB, the relative amount of bass needs adjusted if i'm not compensating via curves of equal loudness (which Audessy does for me with Dynamic EQ well enough that I use that option). Just pointing out there are a lot more...
  15. J

"Secrets" about the consumer audio business you may find interesting

why would customers get better pricing? If anything, Sound United would pocket a lot more profit... The argument you are making is that brands that are established and can afford to effectively "stop advertising", can then move to a direct model based on current name recognition. Allowing...
Top Bottom