Recent content by HiFiDiscoveryTrip

1. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Is that good or bad? Seems convenient to me …
  2. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

After more than a year of daily use also still very happy with it! I love the large display making it easy to read from your seat and also the ease of use of the device. Also the fact that there is a pi computer in the housing for streaming is super convenient. The unit has dual XLR outputs...
  3. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

Am an owner of a DAC 8 Stereo myself. I can also add my experience here. The Okto is directly coupled to my power amplifier via a balanced cable. The amplifier I am currently using is a GamuT D200. It features adjustable gain. Initially I had set it to the highest gain because I had to turn the...
  4. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

B&W 800 D3 vs KEF Blade. Let's discuss.

@preload I follow your reasoning entirely. Probably the comment was also incomplete and generalised. Carbon fiber reinforced plastic as used by Wilson Benesch, for example, is very good, but the advantage comes from combining it with other materials. The different resonance frequencies of each...
  5. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

I listened many times to the B&W 800 D2 and 800 D3. The improvements of the D3 are very clear when listening. The tweeter still has this utter transparency, but blends much better with the midrange driver. The D3 sounds extremely neutral. That was not the case with the previous version.
  6. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

Wow, you started that company? Looks like you’ve made a very original speaker!
  7. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

@sarumbear That’s exactly my experience as well. Only a very few number of speakers like the 800 D3 have the rare ability to instantly transport you to another time and space. As an audio enthusiasts, there are a number of speakers that stay with you and that you aspire to own one day. And...
  8. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

I think that’s correct. It’s fibre reinforced presumably. I once had the opportunity to listen to the original version on a hifi show, but I found them a bit disappointing, must be the plastic enclosure :0)
  9. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

It certainly helps your pride of ownership, plastic does not immediately increase my desire for a product. However, B&W's choice of materials has acoustic reasons.
  10. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

@steve59 I have the same reservation with regard to MDF. However, the cabinet of D800 is not made of MDF but of laminated wood, plywood and aluminium. The tweeter is mounted in an aluminium housing and the mid driver is mounted in a Marlan housing. EDIT: Apparently the D3 now uses an aluminium...
  11. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

Which speakers are the Classical Music Pros using?

Very clear answer, thanks for this comprehensive explanation! @Floyd Toole I understand that these manufacturers are not non-profit organizations but I used to have a big dislike for B&W, not in the least because in Belgium they were forced upon you in almost every hifi shop there was...
  12. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

@Koeitje So do you mean that B&W should not do this to maintain credibility in the quality of their products? Or do you mean that the symphony halls would otherwise buy other brand speakers?
  13. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

I have the feeling that you are very attached to measurements of speakers. Although they certainly serve their purpose during the design phase, they will not tell you at all how they will sound in your living room. For example, I have Wilson Benesch speakers which are far from having a perfect...
  14. HiFiDiscoveryTrip

@tecnogadget You accuse me of copying marketing talk and not knowing what I am talking about. Let us please refrain from derogatory comments. It is not very pleasant and it does not pay off. For a $100 product, you obviously cannot expect the same level of product development as for a $30,000...
Top Bottom