Recent content by Head_Unit

1. H

Dayton Audio OPAL1 speaker launches

Specs are cute, and generally meaningless says this engineer. Independent measurements needed to confirm (though with very low sensitivity perhaps possible). The question is, can they put out enough SPL at that frequency from a 5.5" woofer and radiators to even be audible? Serious question...
  2. H

Have Slim Floorstanding Speakers "Had Their Day?"

Monitor Audio Silver 300! Focal 936! And now 948, if that is still considered "slim"?
  3. H

Tekton style like tweeter array good idea?

It's an idea, and not a new one.* As I just posted in another thread, arrays of tweeter and even midranges are nothing new at all. Maybe nobody has done the giant one with a tweeter in between clusters of more tweeters above and below. To your "cost effectiveness" question I would *think* a good...
  4. H

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

After a few decades as a designer, I do at least know enough to NOT HAVE HOLES IN THE DAMN CABINET and no instructions about plugging them. Gee, come to think of it, I could have had zero years of design experience and figured that one out :rolleyes: As for "innovation" the three tweeter array...
  5. H

One hell of a 12” woofer!

Yes! I once visited Rockford Fosgate for a sales call, and after a nice lunch we talked to some engineers whose obsession of the day was finding a glue to keep the wire on the former at something insane like 4000W at 900 degrees (F? C? I don't recall). An old boss of mine came from JBL...
  6. H

One hell of a 12” woofer!

yeah, the square root of moving mass is in the denominator of the Fs equation, and moving mass squared in the denominator of sensitivity. So lowering the Fs really hits the sensitivity. You can see the equations at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiele/Small_parameters#Small_signal_parameters BUT...
  7. H

Good point! Kudos on them for that.
  8. H

What, they don't know how to make any cabinet shape besides rectangular? Even for $14,000?!? Good grief.
  9. H

Speaker upgrade uncertainties (Focal Aria 936)

True true. @coconuthead's case, he is not complaining about not enough volume. So given the 936 should be at least as sensitive as his Monitor Audio Silver 6, the EVO should be able to play equally loud, hence my thoughts that his issues with the 936 are something else. (Note: I could not find...
  10. H

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

I think @DSJR's point is that it's an unfortunate detail for something whose usable lifetime could easily be >20 years. I suppose it's one of the ways Revel hits the price point.
  11. H

Revel F206 Tower Speaker Review

Yes, as a designer I've long been a fan of "under-tuned" port alignments. You get tighter sound and it seems to work better in a room. F3 (the -3 dB frequency) is just an arbitrary thing Richard Small used in his thesis as a carryover from the electrical filter theory he was using to model...
  12. H

Speaker upgrade uncertainties (Focal Aria 936)

Never mind that. It is an absolute audio fact that tube amps' frequency response will not be flat when connected to loudspeakers. This is because their high output impedance interacts complicatedly with the speaker's complex impedance. - Yes, try the 4 ohm tap. - I listened to that lovely EVO...
  13. H

What’s up with watts?

And amplifiers are only tested into resistors, which are not much like real speakers. The speaker power ratings, meaningless drivel says this loudspeaker engineer and once upon a time marketing shill. The damage, let's suppose you're playing an amp which clips at 100 watts. Your volume is set...
  14. H

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

...and if Tekton published some explanation why the hell the have open holes in the bottom of the speakers... On a different note why can't I see any graphics at Erin's site? Neither in Chrome nor Firefox, nor in Safari on a different machine-?!?
  15. H

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Can that be found on the Wayback Machine? Now I'm really curious to see the original review. Meanwhile, I will be starting a business to sell "Tekton Plugs"! Balsa wood for a "lighter" sound, Special "Six Nines" Elastomer for a more damped sound, bamboo for an Asian flavor, Marble for a more...
Top Bottom