Recent content by Head_Unit

1. H

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

Puts me in mind of Ozzy not playing Ozzfest when Sharon was having cancer surgery-they refused to refund anyone because the back of the tickets said lineup not guaranteed. Oh sure but gee it's called OZZFEST. Aren't those MoFi called "one step"? Or am I mixing something up?
  2. H

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

Because it stands for "Devil Sells Digital" (though you'll never get the Sony executives involved-who are secretly robots piloted by miniature people inside, the predecessors of the Neon Genesis Evangelion conspiracy to come in the future-to admit it).
  3. H

Why are there so few omnidirectional speakers?

Ah by definition I suppose so, if they are truly evenly omnidirectional. However in that case a LOT more reflected sound will be present than with typical speakers which are already beaming by the midrange. So as others noted here this can work with such speakers well out in a large room-the...
  4. H

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

While at some low level small cones can certainly extend low-an extreme example was a 5" in the door of an Alfa Romeo prototype we were testing at work-that doesn't mean much (due to Fletcher-Munson). I don't have access to this https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/journal/?elib=5147 online and my...
  5. H

JBL A180 Tower Speaker Review

Oh my god I don't think it would take long to type "two six inch woofers" eh? ;) To provide some context, since it's hard to tell sometimes. If it's too time consuming to take out a tape measure, yeah that can be looked up although as I noted manufacturers' dimensions are not always clear.
  6. H

It's just much more convenient if @amirm can just type that at the start of the review as a quick reference. It's quicker than Googling a model number, then paging through to see the information (and sometimes manufacturer dimensions it is not clear if footers are included). First world...
  7. H

How important is an AVR's 'rated output' for movie watching?

...and the counter-argument is that 2-channel amps rarely have proper bass management or room correction, without which your bass in normal rooms is unlikely to be flat. Hopefully more 2-channel products will incorporate these. Also while on the bench some 2-channel equipment has specs...
  8. H

That is totally correct, known as Fletcher-Munson. But that's a different thing, so I'm confused. Your post I replied to was (rephrasing) how much power load was removed from the AVR by adding a subwoofer and highpassing the satellites. What I am saying is that yes some continuous power load is...
  9. H

What size are the woofers? It's hard to tell from pictures sometimes. That would be my review request, to list woofer size. (And if not too much trouble the cabinet size) :)
  10. H

That's a different thing, related to the SPL at each frequency. Yes there is definitely a chunk of power down in the subwoofer range, so if you filter that out with a highpass filter less power will reach the satellite speakers. However that is on average. IF you had musical crescendos that did...
  11. H

Hmmmm. Yes that is the conventional wisdom. Actual DATA...has anyone seen any? I have seen some spectrum traces and yes there is a chunk down at the bottom. But that doesn't really matter. The PEAKS are what matter, so are there loud portions of music/film that eat up the headroom and don't...
  12. H

NAD C 298 Power Amplifier With Purifi Eigentakt Amplification

2 single speakers? Or two PAIRS, like with A/B switching? (Which would require another amp...or an A/B switch)
  13. H

Class A/AB vs D -- Is it Audible in 2021?

Yes, LISTENING is the main point, hence I don't do much comparison test. I'd amend your statement to "enjoy whatever AMP makes me listen more" as I don't believe amplification class automatically means anything. Nor that a V8 is always better than another engine (though I loved my 5.0s! And an...
Top Bottom