Recent content by gn77b

1. G

Any small USB-powered DAC with high output like the Centrance DAC Port HD?

staticV3 So I'm assuming it's an atypical design because such a large variations with load are not expected with a regular amplifier. Anyway at this size and being USB powered I'm not expecting wonders. And I are we talking about Centrance or Apogee? I was talking about the latter.
  2. G

Such a large decrease in output voltage indicates a very high output impedance which would make its FR vary with headphone impedance. I would expect that an amp either had a very low output impedance or a switch for low/high load.
  3. G

TBH honest I haven't used my AKG K7XXs in a while so I was under the impression that theý're not reaching satisfying levels. My FiiO E10K was lying in a drawer too so I thought I'd give the combo another listen and you're right, it reaches levels above satisying. But when turned a bit up it gets...
  4. G

Unfortunately I don't have balanced headphones and I'd rather not mod them. The Apogee seems to be just what I need, thanks!
  5. G

The Centrance DAC Port HD is the only USB-powered DAC that I know of which can power high impedance headphones. I wanted to buy one for a long time and now that I remembered I saw it's out of production and I can't find any used for sale. So is there something similar? I know of battery-powered...
  6. G

Speakers that produce astonishing soundstaging/imaging?

Old Infinity Reference series used a large vertical array of tweeters and mid drivers, but not in dipole arrangement. Never heard speakers from that line but it's something that's always intrigued me. I once listened to some model from the Kappa series but the surrounds had been replaced so I...
  7. G

The purpose of the thread is to narrow down the search. He'll likely buy used locally and audition first. Maybe I'll go with him. No way he'll buy 100% based on what I'll tell him and I explicitly told told him not to fall in love with some model. It's easy to go down that rabbit hole. Now, I...
  8. G

audio2design I'm activating the ignore feature in your profile, I suggest you do the same. I'm adding some clarification about what I said concerning amps. I don't believe that amps are magical devices that somehow add certain attributes to sound, like you'd add some ingredient to food. Put...
  9. G

This is the type of reply that I was looking for, thanks.
  10. G

Because one of the first replies in the thread was the definition of rudeness. Here's the thing: simply being a very active member of an online forum that prides itself in objectivity doesn't mean one is automatically some sort of audio guru, especially when such people try to imply that pretty...
  11. G

I can't play that video for some reason. The pic you attached though shows something that's incompatible with a regular living room. Good luck finding the wife that will tolerate that. Still, when I heard very good soundstage from various speakers it was in typical rooms. Most sane people will...
  12. G

I don't understand why you're doing this although I have my guesses. I stated clearly a few times that our listening rooms are different in all ways imaginable. Mine forces me to listen pretty much nearfield, no matter how I try. His is the opposite. Yet the speakers don't change much but hey...
  13. G

This is funny because it remembered me of this time a Dutch guy told me what he thinks about the typical online audiophile fights but it's something that would get one banned in an online forum. I'm pretty sure some would like that to happen but I'm still hoping this can be a productive discussion.
  14. G

Could be but 100% irrelevant to the issue at hand.
  15. G

I'm past 40. I ventured into DIY territory before. The results varied from ok to a waste of money and more importantly time. I'm absolutely sure there are world class DIY designs out there. But I'm all for buying used, ready made speakers. Because you can listen before buying and unless your gut...
Top Bottom