Recent content by georgist

1. G

Squeezebox replacement - picore with which speakers?

Hi, yes I thought of that, but with four radios I didn't want to have another 4 devices, at that point I'd just choose a new tech solution.
  2. G

I upgraded all 4 Squeezebox Radios, already I can see a huge improvement. I've only had them running a day so more time is required. I'll enable the ARP watchdog and see how it goes, but first I'll let them run for a week and see what the vanilla behaviour is. Huge improvement, thanks for making...
  3. G

thanks I wasn't aware of this later firmware update updated LMS and then the firmware on all four squeezebox radios, early days to declare a success yet, will report back if this does work I'll stick with this hardware and maybe try to bag something on sale
  4. G

I'm going to try a factory reset and re-install to see where it gets me, but I think it's related to neighbours having ipv6 wifi, so if you don't have that then you wouldn't see the same level of issues.
  5. G

thanks, kinda surprised to hear this because I'd always associated Sonos and "overpriced". Perhaps that's not fair.
  6. G

ah sorry - 305p is what I have in front of me on my desk. the idea of putting two of those on countertops or on some kind of elevated shelf feels a bit bulky
  7. G

Yeah for me this is very similar to a picore as it's just a little box that handles wifi , WiiM has RCA out so is equiv of pi + topping D10?
  8. G

Great questions. How small? They don't have to be tiny bose cubes, ideally something like half the size of JBL MKII which I believe is standard "bookshelf". Cost? I'd pay say $200 to $400 for the pair, depends on how impressive they are. If they turned the kitchen into a concert stage then hey...
  9. G

Hi my squeezeboxes are dying, regular connection drops and spurious restarts. Also I've had enough of the weak speaker even when it is connected. I love open source and linux, but it's time to move on, my wife isn't using the radio because half the time it's disconnected, even when running...
  10. G

Looking for suggestions on how to improve my stack

Thanks very helpful. Umik it is.
  11. G

not sure what the last bit really means. I just used headphones as an example of suddenly realizing you could discern more, I'm asking about a stack with speakers in this thread. I expect I'll get some of that "intent listening" workout when I try my JBLs on my main pi/dac and if I get a UMIK...
  12. G

again this is layman talk, but I'd really like to be able to listen to my music collection and "hear" more just like when you first buy a good pair of headphones and pick up some parts of the track you didn't even know were there or when you hear notes and they just sound better, more clarity...
  13. G

well very interesting, as a layman I really wouldn't have thought of getting a special microphone to measure. seems like this will be around $100 CAD experiment so not a big expenditure, so I'll probably try this and perhaps learn something along the way.
  14. G

thanks I could spend $1k if I thought it was "worth it", on speakers. seems like I should get the UMIK first, then measure, then either speakers or subwoofer?
  15. G

thanks - the JBL's are active so I don't think I can use them with a regular amp? I guess I could just run the pi and d10s into them.
Top Bottom