Recent content by fluid

1. F

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

Of course which is why I don't own a USB mic. I said for those who cannot or will not, and they exist which is why this keeps coming back up. All valid reasons to do use an analogue mic, there is no argument from me that a USB mic is a good idea for speaker design. The Holm method only works...
  2. F

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

For anyone who refuses to or cannot use an analogue mic to make their life a lot easier, there is an option for relative offsets between drivers which is to use the Time Lock function of Holm Impulse. This keeps the sound card driver open and counts samples. It does work and is how Earl Geddes...
  3. F

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Just leave it flat. You have two woofers at different angles in the cabinet so the advice of tilting the cabinet down won't work anyway. That method is assuming you have a woofer on a flat baffle and are trying to make the measurement valid to a higher frequency.
  4. F

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Outdoor ground plane. That is what Linkwitz used to measure the woofer section.
  5. F

DIY 3D Speaker Scanner - the Mathematics and Everything Else

I know that feeling as well :) That would perhaps be an alternative if it works with the community edition. Aquiring and naming the measurements is the main requirement, once processed they can be viewed with number of existing programs. Can it work with automation?
  6. F

If it is on an ARM based Mac I feel your pain. ARTA works with Whisky from a short test I ran and that was quite nice. At least of the off the shelf measuring programs, ARTA has some advantages that are worth considering for this purpose.
  7. F

Some controllers have PWM controls to adjust the current chopping behaviour. I have tweaked this with my own Tic Controller and it can make quite a bit of difference to the "sound" of the stepper...
  8. F

I often use REW and it is indeed a great program. My understanding is that REW has a repeated measurements mode where a pre-set number of measurements can be made with a pre-set delay between them to account for turntable movement. No doubt this can be made to work with a bit of trial an error...
  9. F

I have bugged NTK, literally for years, with all the options for a simplified version that I could find. Quite a bit of effort was expended and all other options seem to have an Achilles heel that limits their usefulness. My focus has now shifted towards finding the least number of measurement...
  10. F

The only practical use I can see for that data is for arraying speakers in very large PA setups. Things get squirrly quickly trying to push it to higher frequencies. There quickly becomes the need for optimized grids and positioning capability just like the NFS. Nothing wrong with that as an...
  11. F

Good Luck :) My current plan is to start simple with a semi automated setup. Automated rotary control combined with manual height adjustment, then running it all again at a second distance. My main interest is in the frequency range where gating becomes unreliable, It looks to me like N=5...
  12. F

If only, the microphone needs to rotate around the speaker. The same turntable style mechanism can be used to rotate the mic it's just more awkward to realise in practice. Getting the up and down motion combined with the dual scan positions is not so straightforward either. It is all very...
  13. F

Melamine foam in speaker cabinets?

Test anything you have to see if it works if you want to keep costs down, otherwise there are things like 3M Super 74 and contact adhesives for foam. They are quite malleable, but you can change the properties by compressing them too much. Gas/air needs to move through the material to be...
  14. F

Melamine foam in speaker cabinets?

Basotect is melamine foam, so the magic sponges that you have can be used in much the same way. It works quite well when used just by itself on the walls when that works for the design. All damping materials have their own properties and it is a good idea to do a few tests to see how they...
Top Bottom