Recent content by drewdawg999

1. drewdawg999

New phono cart needed

Found this comparison interesting: Depends on what you want from your vinyl, neutrality or excitement? I found the Nagaoka more exciting, with a fuller warmer sound. The AT was neutral with more detail, and wider soundstage. As I don't strive for neutrality with my vinyl (it loses so easily...
  2. drewdawg999

New phono cart needed

Nagaoka MP-110 is a good one in your price range. Think it's a better choice than a 2M Blue, which is rather unexciting, and cheaper too.
  3. drewdawg999

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Recent acquisition: ZMF Atticus Cocobolo LTD. Against all odds (including a lackluster review here) these have become my favorites. Just so comfy and feel so nice, as well as possessing exquisite beauty. As for sound, they benefit from EQ (what doesn't), needing a sub-bass boost, reduction of...
  4. drewdawg999

What are your top 3 IEM ?

I only have 3: Truthear Zero Red, Etymotics ER4S, and Hifiman RE-400B. The Hifiman lags far behind and is matched with the HM-700 DAP. I love the Zero Reds, great bang for the buck, no need for EQ and huge bass, especially with the 10 ohm adapter. The Ety is ancient, I needed to replace the...
  5. drewdawg999

ZMF Atticus Review (Headphone)

I just scored my Atticus Cocobolo LTD at half price used. The Cocobolo is the next hardest wood they use next to Zebrawood and I guess the harder the better, but ZMF doesn't use Cocobolo anymore so these are rare and a collector's item. When I tested them with bassy tracks, first impressions...
  6. drewdawg999

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

But isn't it something that I prefer the softer signal? Don't people almost always gravitate towards the louder signal? Anyways I had to switch cables last night, the USB-C to C was producing static on 24-bit PCM. Now using a USB-C to A and that fixed it. But I tried the comparison again and...
  7. drewdawg999

DSD Direct vs non-DSD Direct: Myth or Turth?

Well I just replaced the DAC in my headphone rig with the SMSL D-6, which does indeed have DSD Direct. On my detailed DT770 with Dekoni Choice Leather pads, I can clearly hear a difference between the DSD Direct mode (Prd) and the DAC only mode (Pr0). For one thing it's softer (I believe 3.7V)...
  8. drewdawg999

Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm - much better with Dekoni choice leather pads

The DT770s are the new object of my affection, and at quite the affordable price used. Scored them off reddit, 75 bucks shipped, 80 ohm version but stock cable replaced with coiley cable that's normally on the 250 ohm version. Immediately loved the bass, but I did find the treble a bit...
  9. drewdawg999

Mod House Argon mk3 in the house, after over 3 years of yearning and they're fantastic!

Well I found measurements done by unheardlab here. The FR with different pads from mine look like this: Don't know what the FR is with protein pads but it's probably something similar. This sound is not for everybody, not the last word in detail or anything, but it's an awful lot of fun and...
  10. drewdawg999

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Yes but too bad I'm not subscribed to any service, and I also don't have a streamer. The house with my main system doesn't have internet. I could use my phone through Bluetooth on my D-6, but that's lossy and full of ads.
  11. drewdawg999

Those artists already got paid back in the day. It benefits the independent record store that I choose to support, and they buy lots of new records. The market dictates these prices, you can check discogs if you wish, but these are actually reasonable. Amoeba Hollywood charges much more.
  12. drewdawg999

Well I was at the record store yesterday in Pasadena and it was great fun, digging through the bins, the thrill of the hunt. I've been going there for many years and they've always been reasonably priced and I guess they still are comparatively, but they're starting to price me out. The supply...
  13. drewdawg999

Please, recommend headphones for listening to music with ENJOYMENT.

My highest recommendation goes to the Mod House Argon Mk3. It is really fun with this full and punchy bass and visceral impact and slam. I've had them a few months and they're just what I was looking for. I'm a sucker for planars and these are my current favorite, bettering my Audeze LCD-2 and...
  14. drewdawg999

OK, what are you guys buying yourselves for Christmas?

Already cashed in part of the Christmas fund for a couple items: an SMSL D-6 and a Mod House Argon mk3. I'm extremely pleased with both, and affordable too. Still have like $300 to spend, don't know what it should be or I could just pocket the cash.
  15. drewdawg999

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

It uses an AKM chip and has DSD Direct mode. This may or may not matter to you but I find it superior to DAC only mode when playing DSD, even though it's slightly softer. It sounds great, I have no complaints and it's performed beautifully for me.
Top Bottom