Recent content by Dongulus

1. D

DIY cable gallery and discussion

The 50/75 ohms are the characteristic impedance of the cable. This is a figure which characterizes an electrical signals ability to travel through the cable which is typically measured at 100s or 1000s of MHz. Since even the highest audible frequency is many orders of magnitude lower than this...
  2. D

Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp Review

It does have a dominant 2nd harmonic which the tube loving folks claim is "musical" sounding distortion.
  3. D

DIY cable gallery and discussion

On your IEM cable with the two wires coming out of the split, how do you ensure that the two wires don't unwind? I made an unbalanced cable for my Hifiman HE-400i set and I didn't trust the two wires would stay together so I tried locking them in some clear heatshrink. It's not ideal because the...
  4. D

Review and Measurements of Totaldac d1-six DAC

Add a few buttons and some more lights this unit would fit right at home in Darth Vader's HiFi system.
  5. D

Canjam SoCal Headphone and Audio Show 2019 Part 2

Thanks @amirm Preparing a music selection on your own portable device seems like the key. Headphone vendors paired their sets with various combos of amps/DACs while amp/DAC vendors didn't always provide a much of a selection of headphones. Music libraries were limited across the whole show. I...
  6. D

Does anyone have some tips for getting the most out of a show like this? Next time I would like to be a little better prepared (i.e. music selection, research etc).
  7. D

The Eros Clone Electrostatic Speaker

Got it. If I was making a set I might consider scaling down a little bit as your design would be a little imposing in my small apartment. More specifically, I would likely scale the height by 60-75% and position them for listening on a couch. My concern with that plan is that if the vertical...
  8. D

The Eros Clone Electrostatic Speaker

I have read your ESL page and I hope to try to make my own sometime. I have a question: is the diaphragm adhered at the top and bottom in addition to the sides and vertical supports?
  9. D

Ah. I didn't even bother to check. For some reason I was under the impression that this was a brand new product. It seems to perform admirably but it's also in a space that's becoming exceedingly competitive.
  10. D

I was there yesterday. This was my first audio show so I don't think I got out of what I could have. Here were some highlights for me: - The Raal ribbon headphones. I was blown away by these. The sound was so open like listening to room speakers. It's actually got me thinking about trying to...
  11. D

Review and Measurements of Aune X1S DAC & Amp

For some reason I thought the X1S power supply was 15VAC, but I'm looking at mine now and see that it's actually 12V. Looks like the T1 is 15VAC looking at pics online. Aune sells the XP1 which is the linear DC supply that works for the T1 but the DC supply is rated for 13V, so it seems that the...
  12. D

Isn't VAC the RMS voltage? Meaning that 12VAC is the AC voltage that has the equivolent power to 12VDC. This would correspond to 12V/0.707 or 17V amplitude.
  13. D

You might already have a solution, but I wanted to chime in. I assume that the power supply for the T1 has the same pinout as the X1S since Aune sells their external linear supply which works for both products. I have rescued a couple of Aune X1S from eBay, both with the same failure which was...
  14. D

Review and Measurements of the HDPlex 200W Supply

Some lamps are designed to adjust their brightness by gating the AC supply in order to modulate the amount of time the lamp is on in a cycle. Looks like this https://dxarts.washington.edu/sites/dxarts/files/3f9a9.jpg . Sudden load variations can cause nasty effects in a home power distribution...
  15. D

Review and Measurements of SMSL AD18 DAC & Amp

I lost out on an ebay auction for one of these a couple of weeks ago. I felt a little disappointed about losing at the time but now I'm thankful I didn't spend my money on one.
Top Bottom