• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY cable gallery and discussion

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Looks good but is all that nylon (?) not microphonic as all hell? Just thinking about the horrid nylon cable on my Mr Speakers Ether CX.

It’s not too bad - obviously a desktop rig gets tested in its low microphonics a lot less than a mobile one, but the paracord is pretty soft and pliable - certain types would definitely be scratchy though!

looks great. looks similar to a kimber cable

Thanks buddy :)
I know it’s a geeky hobby and I know that cables either work or they don’t, but I am still a sucker for nice, quality things even when it’s sometimes a bit more expensive just because it’s “nicer”. I’ll even admit to matching my cables and IEMs by what colours go best :facepalm:

Either way, it’s a new hobby that’s helped keep me (relatively) sane over the lockdown period.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A modular termination with screw-on tips in 2.5mm/3.5mm/3.5mm SE/4.4mm. All balanced except the 3.5mm SE, obviously

What are those modular connectors?

Just thinking about the horrid nylon cable on my Mr Speakers Ether CX.

I need to get some Hirose connectors and reterminate the headphone end of an HD650 cable for my Aeon 2.

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

What are those modular connectors?

They’re just jack terminations that have internal wiring which allows you to swap the “tips” depending on your source, a bit more of an elegant solution than pigtail adapters etc.
These ones were from AliExpress - actually a tiny bit disappointed in the slightly plasticky nature of them, I’d prefer something a little more robust, but I don’t think it will be a problem overall if I take reasonable care of it

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m thinking about taking the plunge and creating a custom cable for my soon to arrive HD800s because after-market cables are very expensive for this model, and I’m interested in DIY. Is this a bad idea for a first attempt?

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Nah, it's a relatively easy build actually

Just remember that the signal goes to the pin on the same side as the little nodule and you'll be fine

In fact I actually just made a short-run 4.4mm for mine - my first ever 8 wire braid, here are a few pics...

20200622_201736.jpg
20200622_201759.jpg
20200622_202223.jpg

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah, it's a relatively easy build actually

Just remember that the signal goes to the pin on the same side as the little nodule and you'll be fine

In fact I actually just made a short-run 4.4mm for mine - my first ever 8 wire braid, here are a few pics...

View attachment 70899View attachment 70900View attachment 70901
Sexy. These connectors look okay? I like the R and L indicators
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HD800-Conn...r-Sennheiser-Headphones-HD-800S-/112787848496

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Yeah those will work just fine - you have an XLR output? What cable are you going to be using?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I have an A90 so I can do XLR, 4.4, and 1/4 inch. They sell a set with the connectors only, so maybe I’ll get that and do a 4.4mm instead because I want balanced. I don’t have cable yet, but I want to do paracord with no braid. I assume Mogami or Canar star quad are advisable?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And for the paracord, did you use thinner paracord for the wires from the splitter to the ear cups?

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Only use 4.4mm if that’s going to be more convenient for you (eg: if you own a portable dap which has a 4.4mm jack etc.)
If your listening rig has XLR and you’re happy with that, go for it, it’s really a decision you should make yourself. I will say that for a beginner, XLR is easier to solder than 4.4mm jacks

The cable I posted in the OP has MDPC-X sleeping, while the paracord is slightly smaller 550. I’d personally say it’s better to use a thinner one but again, it’s a preference thing and isn’t absolutely necessary, it will work just fine if you have the same width for the full cable as you do for the split L/R runs.

Dongulus

On your IEM cable with the two wires coming out of the split, how do you ensure that the two wires don't unwind? I made an unbalanced cable for my Hifiman HE-400i set and I didn't trust the two wires would stay together so I tried locking them in some clear heatshrink. It's not ideal because the heatshrink tubing isn't very pliable once it tightens up.

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

On your IEM cable with the two wires coming out of the split, how do you ensure that the two wires don't unwind? I made an unbalanced cable for my Hifiman HE-400i set and I didn't trust the two wires would stay together so I tried locking them in some clear heatshrink. It's not ideal because the heatshrink tubing isn't very pliable once it tightens up.

I think it depends how you twist them. If you just hold both ends and spin the wire around, it won't work and will unravel. However, if you keep one end of the wire still and swap the cable over making sure to pull/tighten each time and then repeat, it should keep in place. Hope that makes sense. If not I will try and find a YouTube video to illustrate what I mean

OP
doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Just wanted to post a warning to all the DIYers in this thread.

I recently purchased a rather expensive modular connector (similar to the Dunu interlocking ones) for a cable build
This is the item in question:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000818042246.html

H2188220151734df598c9cfab5f1679d0T.jpg

It's a Hakugei and it's from Chitty's Store

My issues started when I contacted them to say that the contact pins were attached to a loose plastic sheath that needed to be static and the whole mechanism was poorly designed and wouldn't work. Their reply was to say they'd contacted the manufacture and I should just glue it.
That's right. Glue to correct the design flaw of a £92 termination.

Anyway, after glueing the product and when the cable I needed for the build finally arrived (from a different store) I was outside of the return window, but I thought it would be fine as I still wanted the product.

Having wired and soldered everything in place, I was trying to get the polarities right using my multimeter and it turns out the pins inside the connector don't even make contact with the jack itself properly! Only half of the contacts were live.

Having contacted the store, they insisted I'd soldered it incorrectly.

I supplied them with this video to show that the soldering was fine and that their product was the problem, not my soldering:
Here's the video - you can see all four wires flowing properly (streamable video link)

I've sent them this information, they've since ignored me.

Make sure you don't give this company your business as they're extremely rude and ESPECIALLY avoid this expensive waste-of-time product too.

Happy to answer any questions on this. Thanks for reading.
Hopefully I save a few of you out there from this mistake.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just wanted to post a warning to all the DIYers in this thread.

I recently purchased a rather expensive modular connector (similar to the Dunu interlocking ones) for a cable build
This is the item in question:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000818042246.html

View attachment 72172

It's a Hakugei and it's from Chitty's Store

My issues started when I contacted them to say that the contact pins were attached to a loose plastic sheath that needed to be static and the whole mechanism was poorly designed and wouldn't work. Their reply was to say they'd contacted the manufacture and I should just glue it.
That's right. Glue to correct the design flaw of a £92 termination.

Anyway, after glueing the product and when the cable I needed for the build finally arrived (from a different store) I was outside of the return window, but I thought it would be fine as I still wanted the product.

Having wired and soldered everything in place, I was trying to get the polarities right using my multimeter and it turns out the pins inside the connector don't even make contact with the jack itself properly! Only half of the contacts were live.

Having contacted the store, they insisted I'd soldered it incorrectly.

I supplied them with this video to show that the soldering was fine and that their product was the problem, not my soldering:
Here's the video - you can see all four wires flowing properly (streamable video link)

I've sent them this information, they've since ignored me.

Make sure you don't give this company your business as they're extremely rude and ESPECIALLY avoid this expensive waste-of-time product too.

Happy to answer any questions on this. Thanks for reading.
Hopefully I save a few of you out there from this mistake.
Sorry to hear that - I get upset when consumers get ripped off. Maybe you could leave them negative feedback on their Ali Express page?

kn0ppers

The thing with many of these Chinese shops is: You can even see manufacturing defects on their product pictures. So you usually know what to expect if they can't even find a perfect sample for the picture.

As far as connectors go, the only brand sold on Aliexpress that I can recommend is Taiwanese "MPS". They make quite nice RCA and 3,5mm connectors.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost all of the gear has arrived to build the HD800S cable:
Short term objective is to watch soldering videos and complete the kit this week. Also had my first beginner's moment...the 550 cord is 4.0mm in diameter, but the Canare 4E6S is 6.0mm and I want to leave the PVC jacket on the cable for a thicker and firmer feel. So I ordered Canare 4E5C which at only 4.8mm should fit with the aid of a paracord fid.

I'll post pics as I make progress.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom