Recent content by Doctor Big

1. D

Why do records sound so much better than digital?

Only a few of you. You self-identify. The majority of people in this thread seem open minded and happy to discuss topics that are at a tangent to the intent of this site. Edit: And really, why should this site be any different? If I head on over to a subjectivist site and say that cables...
  2. D

I'm hardly uncomfortable here. There's much dogma in this thread. Less so than on forums that lean toward the subjective side of things, but - judging by this thread - it's still a bit of an echo chamber. But if we all thought the same way, it'd be way less interesting, right?
  3. D

One needs to have a clear, rational head on one's shoulders. As many people here are trapped in their measurements-only dogma as are swirling around in the sewers of subjective tweakery. The truth lies somewhere in between. Much closer to the measurements end of things certainly, but it's...
  4. D

It's a complex mix. Selective first-world outrage combined with the ease of dissemination via social media, fuelled by conviction of absolute Dunning-Kruger certainty.
  5. D

Sort of. But if the "tweak" or whatever actually does change the sound, is it still snake oil? Admittedly there's a whole bunch of bullshit out there, but I don't think there's any question that LP playback is ACTUALLY susceptible to environmental factors that can be controlled, whereas...
  6. D

The slightly more extended version
  7. D

A stylus interacts at the micron level with that tiny groove. And the signal that comes out of the cartridge is around .5mV which is shockingly low. There's a metric shit-ton of ways for the playback of an LP to go sideways. So there's just as many differing ways to try to optimize it. And...
  8. D

Concur. Increasing performance and accuracy in reproduction is an admirable goal. But to quote Robert Fripp - Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. In the end, we're sitting there listening to music, and if you don't enjoy how it sounds, the method of reproduction...
  9. D

And to get this thread back on topic (motorcycles), here's where SOTA quite literally means the difference between life and death.
  10. D

You totally get it, but then lose the thread. The goal of a high-fidelity system is to give pleasure to its owner. If I don't enjoy listening to it, the system is an abject failure. It may be a success as a device for accurately reproducing the input signal, but that's more of a...
  11. D

Dude - you're embarrassing yourself.
  12. D

HD sees the writing on the wall. The old farts are getting new hips and likely won't be buying more shiny chrome air-cooled bikes. The new motors (Pan America) are great, and the Livewire is a good first try hampered by its limited range and janky suspension. One more thought regarding...
  13. D

Bob, My own bike is a KTM 950 Supermoto, on which I've toured (Toronto to Las Vegas for one), commuted, and participated in a number of track days. My feeling is that the big GS's like yours are the best bikes in the world. I've ridden various GS' over the years, solo across South Africa, to...
  14. D

They're spinning Livewire off into its own company.
Top Bottom