Recent content by dkinric

1. dkinric

Review and Measurements of Musical Fidelity M2si Amp

Thanks for playing along, Tony. I'm no expert, but with my limited knowledge, those measurements look fine, with SINAD around 100db and noise below -120db. If these were replicated by Amir, we would think it's a transparent DAC. Wonder if other measurements would show a weakness?
  2. dkinric

Well, What hi-fi would agree. Not that they are the definitive voice, but for them to publish a review and grant a component only 3 stars is rare. If you would indulge the conversation, two questions: 1. Did you come to the conclusion of it's poor sonic merits BEFORE you read other impressions...
  3. dkinric

Fair enough. Keeping in mind that provided "measurements" can be misleading and false, as we have seen time and time again here. Manufacturer's "measurements" of their own equipment are notoriously inaccurate, and not many independent testers have a $20k analyzer like Amir. Curious if you can...
  4. dkinric

Audio_tony, I think you wandered into the wrong room. It's kind of the mission statement of this site that given the proper equipment and testing methods, one can measure the sound of a DAC or amp. I think it much more likely that either your bias is not as easy to overcome as you believe, or...
  5. dkinric

Poll: Do you use a subwoofer? (Explain why/why not)

I use subs that have built in Anthem room correction. After calibration, I tweak the level with an app from the listening position. Seems to work well.
  6. dkinric

There are numerous advantages to going with a sub(s) for a music system vs full range towers. I think of it like separates vs all in one systems, but for speakers. Sure, you can get a decent all in one music box (ie Naim Mu-so), but there are usually compromises, not the least of which is to pay...
  7. dkinric

Poll: What % of your system investment is in your speakers?

68% $ retail / 73% $ actually paid (including 2 subs) Hardware components only (ie not counting cables/wiring/stands, etc which are minimal anyway) IMO, after a certain minimal level of competence of other components, speakers define the system. Probably could have spent even less on everything...
  8. dkinric

Yes, for my stereo only music setup. Turns the weakness of the system (standmounters and low bass - physics ya know) into a strength. Have ML Dynamo 800x - small, sealed, but powerful 10". Built in DSP to correct for room nodes. Adjustable on the fly with an app. Liked it so much I bought...
  9. dkinric

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

Oh, I thought he was referring to a bitrate setting on the DX3PRO that would affect loudness. I pass native bitrate via Roon, so this would vary according to recording.
  10. dkinric

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

That's interesting, dcolak, and welcome to ASR! I was an early adopter of this unit and was not impressed with the loudness, wheras others said it blew their ears off at lower volume settings than I was using (def was on high gain) with similar cans. What should this bitrate be set for under...
  11. dkinric

DAC + power amp vs receiver at ~500$

With the poor measurements from AVRs coming from ASR lately, it has caused me to rethink my approach similar to what you mention. Get high quality, separate 2 ch amplification, with everything else (DAC, transport etc) in a separate box with it's own power supply. From what we've seen so far...
  12. dkinric

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

I meant 24/192, thanks. Agreed this is an inaudible difference. My issue was more about the conversion from 44 to 48 that Apple was doing. I was looking to feed my system the highest bit perfect signal I could.
  13. dkinric

No thanks. FWIW, my thinking is FOR ME, lossless 16/44 is outstanding and I would grant you I likely cannot tell the difference above that in a test. A more interesting test to me would be Redbook vs 384 mp3. My point was that it is perfectly reasonable to want to try out 24/192 on your...
  14. dkinric

..."ignorant, possibly emotionally immature, and intellectually lazy; I'm proud of it, and I'd much rather hang out with other ignorant and intellectually lazy people than to grow." Jeez, that's pretty harsh for someone who wanted to try out some hi-rez music for themselves on their system. I...
Top Bottom