Recent content by dkinric

1. dkinric

Source computer's HUGE effect on fidelity

My bad, you are correct. Apologies for confusion.
  2. dkinric

Schiit Freya S Preamplifier Review 2

@amirm, can you update the Reviews and Measurements Index for this item? Still showing a recommendation of No. Love the sortable Indexes btw, a great addition to the library of measurements you have built up.
  3. dkinric

SSD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VTWX8MN?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=MM7QP4JA8HSQWN53AWG6 $47 = 36 British Pounds, for comparison.
  4. dkinric

Not sure what country you are from, but in the US, hard drive space is inexpensive. I don't believe magnetic spinning drives are even worth looking at, so getting an external SSD has become a no-brainer. Looking at Amazon just now, I see a WD 1TB for $50, a 2TB for $80. These drives are about...
  5. dkinric

New member, new project.

This seems a reasonable approach, and something that would benefit both OP and the ASR community. By declaring your intentions/expectations up front, and starting a build/discussion thread in the appropriate forum, I see no reason why this should be avoided. ASR's growth has been significant...
  6. dkinric

I recently put together my new desktop system to replace my aging tower. Intel NUC7i5BNH - 7260U used off ebay for about $225. Added some RAM and an M.2 NVMe hard drive. Have you seen these new hard drives? It's the size if a stick of RAM and the fastest option out there - starting for around...
  7. dkinric

adding VU-meters in the audio chain?

It uses the built in mic of the iPad. So, it's an SPL meter to measure volume at a spot, not amp output, and it works really well in this regard. I set a more professional $50 SPL meter right next to it to compare, and they were within a couple dbs of each other, so accuracy is good enough for...
  8. dkinric

Add a subwoofer to Focal Aria 906 bookshelf speakers ?

Yes, you can put a sub next to each speaker. You can cross over at 120, but that seems high. Looking at the response graph you provided, crossing over at 70-80 seems more appropriate, even with no dsp at all - the Focals are very capable of running full range alongside the subs. You may want to...
  9. dkinric

adding VU-meters in the audio chain?

I posted this much earlier in the thread, but I really like using this vu spl meter app on the same iPad I run Roon on - easy to switch back and forth, and it's right there next to me at the listening position to keep an eye on listening volume. I'm usually upper 80 dbs when listening loud for...
  10. dkinric

As a layman, am I correct in picking up a wee bit of sarcasm in this thread? From what I gather, If DAC=competent, then PC type=non-issue?
  11. dkinric

New member, new project.

Not sure what you are looking for here, pre-approval? I think if you are doing a build and have something interesting to share, post it in the proper forum. DIY builds can pretty interesting, especially if you have some type of measurements to share along with it, or it uses components with...
  12. dkinric

Review and Measurements of Musical Fidelity M2si Amp

It's in the first set of graphs. At standard 2v, it has 100db SINAD.
  13. dkinric

New member, new project.

My take is that sharing subjective impressions are fine as long as it is in the context of (in addition to, or based on) some kind of measurable results, and they are recognized as nothing more than your personal opinion, which others may or may not share. The gist is that what you hear (or...
  14. dkinric

New member, new project.

Hi Tournesol, welcome to ASR! You may want to peruse/post in the DIY Audio Forum: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/diy-audio-forum.39/
  15. dkinric

Pioneer GM-D1004 4-channel Car Amplifier Review

This is good to see. My son has a Pioneer GM-D8704 (100 x 4 @ 4ohms) powering his Focal mains in his car. This can be had NEW on amazon for $135, unbelieveable value - stable to 1 ohm, variable HP and LP filters. Some really good values in car audio nowadays.
Top Bottom