Recent content by djtetei

1. djtetei

What are some great AMP/DAC combo that you would recommend?

I have never ever had any issues with noise over USB, digital optical, digital coaxial or analog outputs. In fact I use balanced connections everywhere. There may be some noise, but as long as it is not in the audible range, it is not an issue. Maybe the main power grid and the house electrical...
  2. djtetei

Equipment versus Room/Setup

Where would you find the sense in buying a pair of Wilson Audio Chronosonic? Where would you find the sense in filling your car trunk with speakers capable of buckling the bodywork? Ignoring the audio equipment for a moment, the acoustic space characteristics and treatment really does make a...
  3. djtetei

New setup from scratch - with DSP preferred

Given the fact that your speakers don't have a particularly high sensitivity (85 dB at 1 m) and are capable of maximum 106 dB SPL, they require a minimum of 125 Watts. To ensure a good headroom between 3 to 6 dB of power reserve, in my opinion, you would need an amplifier capable of delivering...
  4. djtetei

A new trend on amplifier performance

I wonder if, even under the influence of some halucinogene substances, the "dudes" from What Hi-fi would dare to review the Objective 2 headphone amplifier and be "objective" in saying that it is better than other industry brand name products who's technical specifications are kept under a vale...
  5. djtetei

Can SMSL Su-9n pair well with Topping A30Pro

@g0bu Get the SMSL Su-9 and you won't regret it. If there's a will and it seems that you have it, take advantage of the balanced connections at any time and you will have a smile on your face every time you have to drive a pair of headphones with medium efficiency, like Sennheiser HD600 series...
  6. djtetei

Topping L50 Review (Headphone Amp)

Yes, the amplification factor (gain) determine the final power output capability and gain could be both positive or negative. In professional sound reinforcement systems, we usually work with reference nominal levels of 0 dBU = 0.7745 Vrms, 0 dBV = 1 Vrms or +4 dBU = 1.23 Vrms and with these...
  7. djtetei

It is normal that both deliver the same output power at medium gain setting as this means 0 dB attenuation. At 0 dB gain the amplification factor is 1 and, therefore, 2 Vrms input level multiplied by 1 equals 2 Vrms output level. No matter which amplifier you use, if you set the gain to 0 dB...
  8. djtetei

@hovation Like I said earlier with Topping L50, because of its lower gain, you have only 2.13 dB of headroom at 300 ohm, with 2 Vrms input level unbalanced, to drive your Sennheiser HD6xx. However, if you use its balanced inputs with 2.56 Vrms input level, the L50 is able to reach its full rated...
  9. djtetei

Please, give us your feedback after putting the L50 to its paces with your headphones.
  10. djtetei

@hovation As I said earlier, you can drive the Sennheiser HD6xx well with Topping L50. Also, you mentioned that you intend to buy the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 headphones. Their nominal power capacity is 200 mW at 250 ohms. With an input level of 2 Vrms, on high gain setting, Topping L50 should be...
  11. djtetei

@hovation You have nothing to lose by using balanced connections, but to gain. Personally, I'm used to balanced connections and put them to good use. Sennheiser HD 6xx are rated for 200 mW at 300 ohm, so with Topping L50 you can drive the headphones quite well (not ideal though), having about...
  12. djtetei

If your DAC has a built-in preamplifier functionality, there is no reason to clip the input of the L50.
  13. djtetei

@hovation Let's do some mathematics: The official specifications for L50 are 540 mW at 300 ohm. This means that your source DAC or player has to deliver an output level of: - 2.56 Vrms at High Gain setting - 12 Vrms at Medium Gain setting - 63 Vrms at Low Gain setting Both Topping E30 and E50...
  14. djtetei

We want good sound, we look at fancy equipments but don't want to properly treat a room because of looking "funny" and we hope to solve it through software.... Hmmmm ... To each his own.
  15. djtetei

You treat the "sucker". Treat more, eq less.
Top Bottom