Recent content by davidperrenoud

1. D

New mysterious Genelec monitors

Compared to the leaked brochure, the official brochure now precises "Constant Delay and Phase". What is meant by that? According to research by Floyd Toole humans are not responsive to phase. What are then the real world advantages of having constant delay and phase? Does it for example allow...
  2. D

The bottom part of the 8381A does have a port at the back similar to the W371A. I do not know what the limiting factor of the 8381A is compared to the 1235A but funnily enough, the technical specifications of the 1235A now lists it as having a "Quad Midrange System" with four 5-inch drivers. :p
  3. D

To keep up the fun I will only answer questions with yes and no.
  4. D

So "Genelec_8381A_Brochure.pdf" was published yesterday evening on their website by mistake. I contacted them to delete it which they quickly did. Ask me anything.
  5. D

It is going to look so weird:
  6. D

This. I am guessing 4 midrange drivers and 2 bass drivers in addition to the 2 coaxial drivers of The Ones as shown by @gr-e. The second bass driver would be positioned in the back (at the top?) similar to the W371 to help cancel the null modes of the rooms. The 4 midrange drivers would give...
  7. D

Scaling the Genelec logo to the W371 makes the 8381 look much bigger, for example with a 14" woofer. If the size is right the two midrange drivers would both be around 5". It would therefore not make much sense to add the concentric 1" + 5" drivers of The Ones series but I added it anyway on...
  8. D

A wishlist of gear to be reviewed by Amir

Behringer Flow 8 Channels 1 and 2 supposedly have very low-noise ADC. It can also be used as a 4-output USB DAC with parametric EQ, delay and limiter.
  9. D

Genelec 8020B repair

To check if it's the fuse without disassembling it, you can disconnect all power (!), put the power switch to the ON position and check the resistance between the positive and negative power pins with a multimeter. If you get an infinite resistance (OL), the fuse is probably blown. If you get...
  10. D

Integrating a turntable into a digital system

Are you sure the digital out would output what the turntable is playing? I have the impression that it only routes from USB to SPDIF or OPTICAL and not from the phono line-in.
  11. D

2.1, 3.1 or good soundbar with a sub for watching TV, setting up a new room help please.

I would go even further and say: mono is better than stereo for dialogue. Just try to put your first speaker in front of your TV, disable the second one and see if you get better dialogue clarity than with the phantom center of your stereo pair. If not, just go back to your stereo pair and be...
  12. D

Apple Announces Personalized Spatial Audio

Related: Aural ID from Genelec: Making headphones like stereo? ;) I have tried to test Personalized Spatial Audio in the some iOS 16 beta but I could not get past scanning the right ear. Let's see if the release candidate released today improves things. The final version will be available on...
  13. D

Genelec 8020B repair

As there seems to be a good number of Genelec fans on this forum, I figured it would be the right place to document my repair attempt of some Genelec 8020B speaker. I recently got 2 speakers: one of them has a weak woofer/bass output and a lower overall volume. The previous owner informed me...
  14. D

Tannoy System 600 Speaker Review

I aligned the two graphs on the X and Y axis and generated an animated GIF. There is some correlation above 3 kHz but not much else: Outside of the crossover problem, has anybody an idea why the bass is dropping earlier on Amir's measurement? @amirm Would you like to measure or recap the...
Top Bottom