Recent content by danadam

1. danadam

Celebrity RIP Thread

Daniel Kahneman (Thinking Fast and Slow) https://www.ft.com/content/c1a7f8d1-ffd3-4454-b93e-6007d4579018
  2. danadam

High Resolution Audio: Does It Matter?

I don't know. Do tell, please. :-)
  3. danadam

Can 176.4kHz be beneficial after all? (humans' hearing latency limits)

To me it doesn't make sense at all to translate inter-aural time differences into frequency. You are not the first one to do this but I don't know where people get this idea from.
  4. danadam

Can 176.4kHz be beneficial after all? (humans' hearing latency limits)

You'll have to explain what you mean by that, because as it is, it sounds contradictory to me: you are aware it is possible but you are asking if it can.
  5. danadam

Bandcamp offer 24 bit download - any idea why?

Based on the "Sadness as a gift" sample, the amount of noise in the recording itself is so high, that even if it is a legitimate 24-bit version, it won't matter at all. The noise is comparable to 10-bit dither. Here's spectrum of the 1st second: So I would say that even 16-bit is an overkill...
  6. danadam

Is Hi-Res Audio better because filter is outside audible range?

I was talking in the context of actual devices, but maybe I shouldn't have narrowed it so much. I know that upsampling can create images and downsampling can create aliases :-) .
  7. danadam

Is Hi-Res Audio better because filter is outside audible range?

AFAIU... Aliasing happens only in AD conversion, so the above description applies only to ADCs. DACs on the other hand produce images, so the consequence of stretching the transition band to 24 kHz should be just a bit more HF noise in the output. The HF noise can potentially cause IMD down the...
  8. danadam

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

Yes, I did, thank you. I thought so :-). I was hoping for some jazz/classical concert ;) . True, but the 16-bit version still has what I would call a flat dither, only sloped a bit. By dither with shaped noise I meant something more like gesemann. In attachment there is first 30 sec converted...
  9. danadam

Finally, music we can buy in 768 khz sampling rates.

With flat dither, maybe. If with dither with shaped noise then I'd like to hear about them. Do you know any?
  10. danadam

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Oh, I missed your message. Yes, I can confirm that.
  11. danadam

Some strange clipping with Samsung dongle

I'm posting this more like a curiosity rather than a problem to solve. In the attachment there are 2 files, 44.1 Khz sample rate, with a series of pulses in groups of 4: In "bw.sweep" each group has bandwidth 500 Hz wider than the previous one, starting from 500 Hz. All pulses are normalized...
  12. danadam

What to do about the ABX test?

You will need a cable with 3.5mm jack plug on one end and either another jack plug or RCA plugs or exposed wires on another end. Plug the 3.5mm jack to your device and connect multimeter probes at the other end of the cable, to the ground and to the signal. In case of exposed wires you will...
  13. danadam

spotify quality vs "hi-fi" lossless options, i cant tell a difference.

I guess that depends on what kind of DSPs, how many times they are applied and what is the format of data between DSPs. First of all, I can't say I'm very familiar with how DSP plugins work, so I can be very off base here. I kind of expect that they accept anything on the input, convert it to...
  14. danadam

spotify quality vs "hi-fi" lossless options, i cant tell a difference.

These explanations sound reasonable to me: reddit comments:
  15. danadam

Neil Young is back at Spotify AND in hi-def (April Fools?)

I don't see that anymore on his page but it's still on webarchive.
Top Bottom