Recent content by Charles Sprinkle

1. Charles Sprinkle

Kali IN-5 Studio Monitor Review

Phase linearization requires an acausal FIR filter which adds latency to the signal path. This may be acceptable for playback of program material, but could be jarring while working with live recording. In practice, this would limit us to 512 taps (at 48kHz) before latency became a problem...
  2. Charles Sprinkle

I would advocate that powered loudspeakers be rated for peak SPL at 1m in 4Pi space. This is the most relevant metric to a user because it can be directly converted to continuous SPL at any point with a defined amount of headroom. Amplifier power specifications aren't of any direct relevance...
  3. Charles Sprinkle

A few minor corrections... The power supply is single sided. Amplifier output voltage is 15.6VRMS for all channels. HF and MF (BTL configuration; 5A peak current capability) are 6 Ohm. LF (PBTL configuration; 10A peak current capability) has a 3 ohm minimum impedance. So this is where the...
  4. Charles Sprinkle

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

Sorry I missed this... These two measurements should correlate. Not a coincidence.
  5. Charles Sprinkle

You know, when I set up M2s in my living room, my wife looked at them, smiled and said "Now that's what I'm talking about". (Direct quote, no embellishments.) She had been asking for a pair of tower loudspeakers for some time and I was happy to help her with that.
  6. Charles Sprinkle

Based on the way the NFS works, it shouldn't be affected by room modes. This actually has the potential of being better than an anechoic chamber, which isn't anechoic below a certain frequency based on wedge size.
  7. Charles Sprinkle

The IN8 uses DSP to implement crossover, EQ, boundary compensation, and transducer protective limiting.
  8. Charles Sprinkle

The LP8 is a good design, but it is also a non-coincident two way monitor. This means that lobing at the crossover point will be manifest in the vertical plane directivity. That usually is not that big of a deal if they are oriented vertically and you have some absorption on the ceiling, but...
  9. Charles Sprinkle

First of all, I need to frame my response from the perspective of the intended use case. These loudspeakers are studio monitors and I need to prioritize design elements based on the requirements of the professionals that use them to make decisions in content creation. Keep in mind, we aren't...
  10. Charles Sprinkle

A conversation based on data... How refreshing!
  11. Charles Sprinkle

Class D amplifiers are going to be <0.1% distortion until they reach their limit and start to clip. Transducers are around 10x more. Also, the characteristic of the distortion curve is different. The amplifier is very clean and abruptly transitions to distortion at clipping, whereas the...
  12. Charles Sprinkle

Thank you for mentioning this. With regards to distortion, transducers produce about an order of magnitude more distortion than the amplifier. If you want to lower distortion, spend money on the transducers first. At all of our price points, we carefully optimize transducers for linearity and...
  13. Charles Sprinkle

Reading through my previous reply, I realize I didn't fully address your questions. Sorry. Regarding trusting some automated system, my answer would be not unless the room issues are addressed and the speakers are in the right place. Even then, automated systems sometimes get a bad result. I...
  14. Charles Sprinkle

Maybe this should have a different thread but this is a very important topic. This may be TMI, but here goes... EQ is often regarded as a cure-all for room response issues. Simply stated, EQ applied to a bad setup is like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. The room calibration...
Top Bottom