Recent content by brettjv

1. B

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

I use a Raspberry Pi 4 for my Plex Server, with a single spinning NAS-grade 14GB drive set in a caddy and hooked up by USB 3.0 ... Everything is only on Wi-Fi, too, though I have a fairly good mesh system in my house. And huge 4K movie files stream perfectly to my Shield from the Pi...
  2. B

Denon AVR-X4700 AVR Review (Updated)

Thanks for the update! Now you have me wondering if the reason they replaced that audio board on mine was because it was related to the actual malfunction on the amp, rather than my requested update to the video capability. The repair invoice was not clear about 'why they did what for each...
  3. B

Hey, if you decide to get the X4700H w/new DAC's and decide you can't live w/o the AKG DAC, I know someone who has exactly the parts you'll need to upgrade your unit, stored in anti-static bags with a box already prepped to ship. For a fair price, too ;) As an aside, the X4700H is by no means...
  4. B

1) Shipped from AZ to NY, travel was 6 days each way. It was back in my hands in about 24 days IIRC. Their communication via email was great. 2) Condition flawless when shipped, came back flawless. 3) Same box, yes (confirmed serial on label on box). I shipped it in only the original box...
  5. B

Update on my AVR-X4700H repair. United got the job done in terms of the problem with the amp randomly going into either Audyssey setup or sometimes protection! Thing has been perfect since, with the exception of some CEC weirdness that I didn't used to have. The actual fix was described as...
  6. B

Mine is not a warranty repair, I'm paying good money for it. I got a call from United Radio within 4-5 business days of their receipt of the unit, telling me it was assessed, the parts needed were determined, and what the cost would be. They said it would be 7-10 days to get the parts, and...
  7. B

Well if I doesn't work I'll get the money for the repair back, I assume. And United Radio are supposed to be the best, that's why I sent it cross-country.
  8. B

I suppose if one has endless money, they will 'spend-save' in the way you and the previous poster recommended. I just dropped a grand on other stereo stuff last month. The 4700H (esp. with the better video board) has all the features I want or need. I don't want a 3800, and even at $2229 for...
  9. B

So, got a call from United Radio last week about my X4700H repair. The repair is not cheap, I forget exact number but I think it was around $425. However, not only are they fixing the Protection/Audyssey Setup problem, but I also asked them to put in the new HDMI board that supports 4K/120Hz...
  10. B

Yeah I saw some people online talking them up, plus the CSR I spoke to was super friendly and helpful. I decided despite being in AZ (and hence closer to pretty much ALL the other ASC's) I'd send it to United. The other places in LA area weren't nearly as helpful and all want money up front to...
  11. B

Huh. That's a huge drag. Mine is off to an Authorized Service Center (United Radio) and I'm paying for the repair, so maybe I'll have better luck since they'll want their $$$ sooner rather than later, or at least I'd assume. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks for the input :)
  12. B

Wow, really? How long has it been gone at this point? Do you recall which repair center it was sent to? I sure as heck hope mine's not gone for months. We are FAR from the only ones I've seen online mention this exact same issue with their X700 line Denon, and even in some other lines. I...
  13. B

Interesting ... my purchased in October 2020 X4700H developed these EXACT same problems (and tried the same troubleshooting steps to no avail) ... only mine was just days OUT of warranty :( It did not however quite degrade to the point your did ... sometimes it would still work okay for hours...
  14. B

Switching from Marantz to Onkyo TX-RZ50

No matter how much 'science' one uses, everyone's brain's are different, which means different perceptions. And just as important, the shape of everyone's ear canals, and their external ear shapes are different (both of which matter in terms of subjective assessment of 'good sound'). And...
  15. B

Onkyo TX-RZ50 Review (Home Theater AVR)

Shout out for still rocking LSi15's ... I have a pair for my dedicated music listening setup (with an Anthem D1 I bought used for $300, and an OG Adcom GFA-555 I've had forever, and a Paradigm Defiance 15, w/crossover on the D1 at 80Hz) and I've loved them for music listening for many years now...
Top Bottom