Recent content by bboris77

1. bboris77

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

I just measured the temperature of the top my Yamaha with an IR Temperature Gun and it ranges from 30-40C (86-104F) with the hottest spot inside the amp being the heatsink at 45C (113F). My room goes up to 26C (78F) during summer, while downstairs is kept at 22C (71.6F).
  2. bboris77

Schiit Vidar 2 Stereo Amplifier Review

My opinion of their post-2020 products completely aligns with yours, and after having purchased more than 10 of their earlier products, I haven't bought one since COVID. I am very convinced that they would make a Class D speaker amplifier if they could make money on it. I think that the whole...
  3. bboris77

That would be my assumption as well. I do not keep the room closed most of the time, and I run my speakers at less than half volume since they are in nearfield scenario. I do have a tendency not to turn off my speaker amps and keep them running. The issue with the receivers I have is that they...
  4. bboris77

I have a fairly naive question not having owned a Class D speaker amplifier for any significant length of time. I have always had Class A/B receivers and integrated amplifiers in my main listening room that doubles as my office. It is a fairly small room on the second floor of our house that...
  5. bboris77

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Their response makes me actually want to try one of their amps.
  6. bboris77

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

I like Erin in general, but it did rub me the wrong way how he kept saying that the damaged amp is going to go into the trash. It kind of implies that this is where it belongs and creates an impression that these amps are disposable. To be fair, I felt similar about Amir’s old review of the Sony...
  7. bboris77

Fosi Audio V3 Amplifier Review

Has anyone been able to purchase the 2024 version with volume adjustable preamp outputs from Amazon? I’m just wondering if it is only available from their own website.
  8. bboris77

Ok, rather than arguing with you, I will provide a quote from Jason Stoddard, the designer of these amps: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-1607#post-13707858 He says: "Some mechanical noise is typical of most...
  9. bboris77

I know, it’s ultimately about qc quality and luck. However, the odds are much higher that a high power/capacity transformer such as the ones used in class AB speaker amps will have some audible and physical vibration. At least that has been my experience from dealing with them.
  10. bboris77

@amirm, did you notice any transformer hum/buzzing coming out of the unit during your testing? It is a fairly common issue with many class AB power amplifiers and receivers that annoys me and may eventually push me to a class D speaker amplifier.
  11. bboris77

Fosi Audio ZA3 Amplifier Review

I have a very specific question for anyone that may be using both rca and balanced inputs and is connecting a subwoofer: Do you need to readjust the volume level on your subwoofer whenever you switch from balanced to unbalanced input on your ZA3? I’m planning to use both inputs and it would be...
  12. bboris77

XMOS driver settings for no cutoff/delay

If I were @SMSL-Mandy, I’d be contacting Qobuz to figure out how they are managing to keep these XMOS devices from going to sleep. It ought to be a fairly simple/trivial fix that would keep a lot of Mac users happy. I know we tend to be forgotten since we’re in the minority, but we are fairly...
  13. bboris77

XMOS driver settings for no cutoff/delay

OMG, this workaround actually 100% worked. This means that solution is very simple but someone has to write a piece of software that does this in Mac OS.
Top Bottom