Recent content by baoshan

1. baoshan

Introducing Tonal – A Minimalist Music App for Collectors and Audiophiles

Thanks to @BE718 for mentioning the great app Roons. I’m posting the same album rendered by both Roons and Tonal. This is not saying one is better than another, just a different taste I think.
  2. baoshan

Thanks for your reply! I agree with what you said. Tonal is an integrated app combining features offered by several separate software. Plus, a new metadata engine which at least is different from current solutions. The screenshot attached feels more natural to some users I surveyed. I’m not...
  3. baoshan

I’m sorry for another reply. There’re 3 articles explaining the internals of Tonal and how the decisions we made make a difference: Part 1: Audio Data — White-Glove Service for Your Collection Part 2: Music Metadata — The New, Old Problem Part 3: Playback Engine — Demystifying the “Black Art”...
  4. baoshan

Hello, BE718! Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Tonal does these things which Roon lacks: Audio verification by AccurateRip and CUETools, which ensures all your cloud-hosted audios are perfect without glitches. Metadata. Personally, I believe the screenshots I presented demonstrated a...
  5. baoshan

If your disc has no compact disc (physical) counterpart, it may be missing from our underlying data sources. Metadata need be manually compiled, which takes time. I’m the only metadata contributor for now. :P
  6. baoshan

I’ll do some homework and report back. Thank you very much for the valuable information.
  7. baoshan

.aiff files are supported. Please forgive me for I don’t know the .aif format. Could you provide more detail?
  8. baoshan

Hello, svart-hvitt! Thank you for your great suggestion. I can see your point! I would like to offer a button (or a similar approach) to cache albums you specified locally, within the Tonal app. You can play cached albums even without an internet connection. Currently, I’m not very interested...
  9. baoshan

Haha, Frank! I’m so happy you think the metadata engine is promising. I’m motivated to bring the metadata part to your music experience! An algorithm is trained to create the initial version of the metadata, from several data sources. From there, a community of contributors will improve the...
  10. baoshan

Hi, Frank! I enjoy your story, indeed! And I am glad that your current solution works! IIRC, Jobs listen to Bach and Yo-Yo Ma, but not on his iPod I guess. :p Let’s forget about the cloud vs. local debate happily. Since you’re a “classical” guy, I think we could talk something related to...
  11. baoshan

Hello, Randem! What a wonderful question! The audio (in a proprietary format, without any metadata or personal information) is secured in a content-addressable cloud storage. The key to access above audio and link above audio to according metadata is registered in your private iCloud storage...
  12. baoshan

Hello, Frank! Thank you for sharing your valuable thoughts. I believe I understand your concern. Local storage gives me more confidence as well. Sometimes I’m afraid of losing my digital collection (hard drive failure, etc.) or lack of accessibility (leaving home without external drive or NAS)...
  13. baoshan

Great question! The disc registration process is performed in your personal iCloud drive, even the operation team (developer) has no read/write permission. Plus, there’s no username/password to maintain, and actually, we know nothing about our users.
  14. baoshan

Hi! Any Mac computer running macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) with a decent internet connection is enough for Tonal. Since music is secured in the cloud, you don’t need a large SSD/HDD to manage your collection.
Top Bottom