Recent content by Aynsley

1. Aynsley

Moondrop Paradise, Amazing curves!

I can understand why Moondrop (MOONDROP) chose to abbrieviate PARADISE to PARA, and COSMOPOLITAN to COSMO, to match the Chinese naming, but I wish Moondrop/MOONDROP would go easy on the all-caps. I agree with you that no amount of spec improvements can out-balance discomfort. The sound quality...
  2. Aynsley

1970s and 1980s Students! Reveal yourselves

Or even the 60s, when John was broadcasting from Radio London. I got to chat with him many times, so hearing his voice brings back happy memories. Thank you for that wonderful link!
  3. Aynsley

Tidying cables

I can't comment on the technical aspects of your audio setup, but I'm impressed by the neatness of the cables at the back: the careful bundling and the meticulous labelling. Clearly a labour of love. Viewed from the front, the turntable on the left looks a little precarious but I'm guessing...
  4. Aynsley

Music for Testing Treble (High Frequency) Sound

I have the 15-CD set of the Complete Organ Works but I'm fairly sure this collection of Trio Sonatas is taken from the same recordings. Next to Helmut Walcha, I find Marie-Claire Alain's interpretations of Bach's organ music to be the most satisfying. There's a remarkable consistency in her...
  5. Aynsley

I was able to find several near-mint copies of the Koopman Trio Sonatas through Discogs, and purchased one from a very helpful German vendor. It arrived yesterday and I'm enjoying the music and the recording. While I was waiting for the disc to arrive, I spent some time listening to other...
  6. Aynsley

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

I have no problem running my Sundaras from a Topping L30, with the gain switch set to +9dB. Don't know about the pairing with the Sanskrit. I have the E30+L30 combo.
  7. Aynsley

Yet another outstanding recording that I'd never heard of until you kindly introduced it. The depth and breadth of your knowledge of fine musc is extraordinary. I found a copy of this album on the Apple Music streaming service but was disappointed to find that it's not available in lossless...
  8. Aynsley

It must have been an unforgettable experience. When I was living in London I attended the Wednesday afternoon organ recitals at the Royal Festival Hall, and heard some of the greatest organists of the day, but I never had the opportunity to listen to organ music in a church setting. I often...
  9. Aynsley

I have a few versions of that Trio Sonata in my collection, but not this one. I don't think I've ever heard the Waalse Kerk pipe organ before. It's a truly magnificent instrument. Even on YouTube the rumble of the bass notes and the complex tones of the reed pipes come through very clearly. I...
  10. Aynsley

Thank you, yet again, for introducing an artist and an album with which I was unfamiliar. The recording is, indeed, excellent, but I couldn't help noticing the presence of extraneous sounds. I know that it's almost impossible to place microphones so that the squeaky sound of fingers sliding up...
  11. Aynsley

Thank you for that surprising insight into the digital processing of Grumiaux' 1961 recording of Bach's works for solo violin. I had no idea such shifting of violin harmonics was possible. It does, however, provide a convincing explanation for the poor quality of the 'remastered' CDs.
  12. Aynsley

I agree that the recording of solo violin pieces is a technical challenge, especially if the pieces include double or treble stopping. One of the first set of albums I ever bought was Arthur Grumiaux' rendition of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin. On a cheap stereo system (this was...
  13. Aynsley

Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love

Thank you for introducing yet another talented artist. I found a copy of the Weiss album on Apple Music, and listened to it with great pleasure. It's interesting that Berget chose to play the Weiss pieces on an 11-string classical guitar. I can't say I've ever heard of such an instrument. I...
  14. Aynsley

What headphone(s) do you own ?

I still have an ATH500 and an ATH900, and I couldn't agree more about the comfort. I can't remember how many times I replaced the ear pads and the wing pads.
  15. Aynsley

Moondrop Paradise, Amazing curves!

Are you referring to the VOID and VENUS? I can't comment on the planar VENUS, but I did try the open-back dynamic driver VOID and wasn't too impressed. It didn't fit well and the sound was average. That could have had something to do with the fit. The new closed-back DD JOKER, on the other...
Top Bottom