Recent content by audio2920

1. A

Is it the movie, my ears, or my setup?

I'd broadly agree. Like you say, it's more perception than mathematics. I still think DR itself is broadly inherent in the mix rather than the downmix, but I do think the perception is otherwise, simply because our brains detangle things more when they're from more speakers. In other words, it's...
  2. A

Makes sense. IMHO since there is an ITU standard the default stereo downmix should be made from a 5.1 (or 5.1 render from Atmos) as: L = L + (Ls-3dB) + (C-3dB) R = R + (Rs-3dB) + (C-3dB) But as discussed, that's not always the case. I consider deviations from this to be "wrong" so I use this...
  3. A

Questions about AoE

FWIW I have some spdif and adat optical tie lines in my studio which are over 10m and they work fine. Can't remember how long they are. Maybe 15m? I've rarely found budget extenders which really work seamlessly. There's always something glitchy at some point. Not saying there's anything wrong...
  4. A

Late to the party here, but I tried KotFM just on a soundbar in my living room, and the dynamics were generally not offensive to me. Personal preference I'm guessing, but I suppose there could be technical reasons too. Maybe Apple swapped the mix out? [Unlikely, but for certain sometimes the...
  5. A

Best Very-Nearfield monitor for bedroom mixing

I'm fairly sold on concentric designs being best for ultra nearfield and applications where acoustics are sub-optimal. I attribute this largely to (a) time alignment not being as skewed by distances to the individual drivers as you move your head around and (b) vertical pattern being more...
  6. A

Why do bigger subwoofers sound different?

Interesting! So any sealed sub with the same FR (so long as it's not achieved through PEQ or other methods that affect GD) will have the same GD? I guess that makes sense to me really, but I imagine it doesn't hold true of ported (etc.) designs? I'm a sound engineer rather than a speaker guy...
  7. A

Does Anything Surpass The JBL STAGE A130's?

Surely they're just trolling? It did make me wonder though... Hypothetically, if the speaker presented an asymmetric load (acoustic loading or just driver behaviour in general) AND the source was asymmetrical (because of the content, or a bad amp etc.) then just maybe it could make a difference...
  8. A

Validity of X-curve For Cinema Sound

Well, I've never seen it done that way but it makes some sense I guess. If you're in a room where it makes sense to be on X-curve though, then the C-weighting at 85 should achieve the same level, unless you have FR issues. So I'm not sure it's a material change in spec..? I guess it's more just...
  9. A

Recommendations for Newbie - SimpleOutboard Reverb Unit for Mackie 1604-VLZ board

Agreed with the above. Personally I'd just go on eBay and look for anything made by Lexicon, sort by price and then pick something in budget! Alternatively if you've got a laptop and at least 2x2 IO, maybe you could look at running a VST host and using plugins? Maybe free ones. There will be...
  10. A

Why Dolby ATMOS Makes Us Cry - PresentDay Productions UK Mastering Studio (long) Talk

Video made me laugh! (In a good way.) Love how outraged they are. Of course there are ways you can box around the issues, but yeah, given how long Atmos has been around, it's strange there aren't neater ways to do in the studio what is actually quite simple in consumer world. But personally I...
  11. A

Arendal 1723 Speaker Review

It sure looks like the 1961 Bookshelf is lower distortion than the 1723 Monitor pretty much everywhere, except below 180Hz. Is this just typical behaviour of an 8" woofer vs a 5.5"? I would have assumed the 1723 Monitor would go louder than the 1961, but I don't see that in the data...? Or do...
  12. A

Arendal 1723 Speaker Review

This form factor is interesting to me and would suit my room well. Good SPL capability above about 80Hz in conjunction with reasonably well behaved FR/DI, excellent build quality, warranty, customer service, and all for $1250/unit. This could well be a winning combination for my home theater...
  13. A

New Kali Audio monitor

I'd be confident the Hypex would have no trouble driving these. But... You have to implement the required EQ. And for the warranty you need to implement independent limiting on the LF & HF with parameters/ballistics defined in the user manual. If you don't plan on driving them at all loud it...
  14. A

Best Matrix Processor besides qsc core 110f? Replacement for Ashly Protea 24.24M

I'm using 2x DDRC-88D for an Atmos setup; It's quite a flexible thing and I'm still loving the simplicity & results of Dirac to measure the room and build filters. There's not a lot wrong with the digital version, that I can tell. Well, the UI is somewhat clunky compared to Trinnov and so on...
  15. A

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

It's a nice looking room, and the Linton's look great in there, but I agree with @Snoopy , if you can face having some kind of treatment at least on the wall behind you, it'd likely make a decent difference. MiniDSP won't help much with the splashy nature of the room acoustics, it'll mostly just...
Top Bottom