Recent content by Asinus

1. A

I cannot trust the Harman speaker preference score

The formula is a regression of the dataset available at the time the original paper was published, it was not meant to be a silver bullet for deciding which speaker is better for all eternity but to show that objective measurements (the spinorama in particular) had enough information to predict...
  2. A

Revel F35/6 at 30% off at Crutchfield

Nice catch, there is even a scratched/dented F36 (black) for $680
  3. A

Revel - Big Price Increase

Harman Intl took over Becker Automotive 10 years before Sidney Harman retired and also before Revel existed, and going by the records from the time it was a public company automotive was already one of the main income sources at that time. They probably make more from Lincolns than from Salons...
  4. A

Dolby height speakers for room with high ceiling

No actual measurements on the SCL-5, only forum chatter about being able to deal more SPL while having more bass extension (in order to get more output on the C763L you have to cross them at 100Hz or that square woofer bottoms out). But for that MSRP I'd expect M2 kind of measurements. The XC...
  5. A

Dolby height speakers for room with high ceiling

Late to the party but I'm leaving my two cents for others wondering the same. IMO, consider good bookshelves first unless the installation is difficult or looks are more important. If there is no alternative but to put the speakers in-ceiling the C763Ls are good, but the frequency response...
  6. A

IEMs close to Harman curve?

In the recent Audioholics video Dr. Olive pretty much confirmed it was the N5005, he also showed that the JBL Club Pro+ TWS and Samsung Buds Pro are close to the target and are more affordable. I don't think the N5005 are closer (according to measurements on other sites) but even if the full...
  7. A

Left and right speaker pairs - is this a thing?

They can handpick two samples that are matched closer to each other than to the manufacturing tolerances. For instance on the production line they stamp OK transducers that are within 0.5 dB of the golden sample, but they could handpick and use two transducers that are within 0.1 dB of each...
  8. A

Revel M106 vs M126Be: worth the upgrade?

That is my beef with the guy, that he is making belittling remarks with no proof while pitching his sale. Actori Incumbit Onus Probandi (latin for "if you can't prove it shut your mouth"). I own the three models, M126Be, F208 and F228Be. In my experience while the drivers on the 228s are...
  9. A

Revel M106 vs M126Be: worth the upgrade?

It's not about how many people say it or really believe it. It's about how you can prove the claims and so far Amir's and rtings, using finished products and playing in end-user conditions, found no frequency-response change after extended playback. This is what I mentioned before: $4000 Revel...
  10. A

Why SINAD is not important (article)

Comparing graphs is more problematic since differences in scale and range can cause more confusion. I don't have any issue if you use the same logic as long as you explain the relevance of a Zout comparison. However we are looking for transparency in our playback chain, so max amplitude/power...
  11. A

And yet, the article and the video are not titled X is a more meaningful metric, but SINAD is not important.
  12. A

IMO as long as there is no counter-example where a device (not a synthetically generated corner case) with higher SINAD is demonstrably worse than one with lower SINAD this call for audibility metrics is just asking to be graded on a curve because you are failing the exam. Perhaps it would be...
  13. A

Where do I find Harman's House Curve for speakers

Look for the "Mic Calibration and Target Files" in the specs & support section: https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/electronics/surround-processor-preamplifiers/SDR-35-.html?dwvar_SDR-35-_color=Black-US-Current&cgid=surround-processor-preamplifiers
  14. A

Reviewing Speakers - Measurements and Listening Tests (Video)

OK, I may have phased incorrectly, but the same holds for any number of transducers. If the superposition principle applies, you can evaluate them separately and have an accurate model for all working together. If the superposition principle does not apply there are non-linearities (or...
  15. A

Reviewing Speakers - Measurements and Listening Tests (Video)

If that were true, most of the DSP applied to audio would be useless. If we hope to use effectively classic filtering techniques we are assuming a linear, time-invariant system (LTI) where the superposition principle holds. There are non-linearities along the chain but most of those are...
Top Bottom