Recent content by Ashley Salmond

1. A

YouTube cracks down on ad blockers

Spotify have just announced that they are not paying their lower tier artist . I feel this type of corporate behaviour does not favour the listener and makes it difficult for the new artist to survive and so we all lose . It will be like the old day where Rap went on forever, so I call on you to...
  2. A

Wolf's Measurements of SMSL M200 DAC

Helpful but insensitive And somewhat insensitive.
  3. A

Arendal 1723 vs original Revel Ultimas (2004)

I think it comes down t frequency response. I have the 1723 S thx . They sound great, I can listen to Boris Brejeker and Hozho for quite some time. I did see a pair of Focal Shipra on Gumtree for $16000aud. I did fall in love with those beautifully crafted speakers. After doing some checking of...
  4. A

Discrete OpAmp Review: Sonic Imagery vs Sparkos

Hi Amir, that is remarkable, I have tried to do a not so accurate test situation and scored very ordinarily. To use a Monty Python sketch , You have cute earrings, or to put it more accurately Acute Hearing
  5. A

Build of gr-research X-LS Encore

Rick, I wouldn't disagree with that as the BMR specs are excellent except as Irwin said on his site, the dispersion was wide and this would lead to an increase room Reverberation. The XLS Encore scored better going by GR,s specs, lthough the Encore,s frequency was not as good as the BMR but...
  6. A

I bought the av3kit ,a discontinued model. I used 25mm MDF and changed the tweeter t a seas90. I was stunned as to the performance of the GR Research speaker. The simplicity of the cross over and how well the drivers work. It's a very low cost way of achieving a high quality audio. If you...
  7. A

To upgrade or not to upgrade, that is the question.

Thank your rwortman ,yes it's the only way to truely find out.
  8. A

Thank you Symphara , so would would say once you are past audiable,-115db then you have the point of deminished return. Or in Audioscience Amplifier rating chart the Blue Zone.
  9. A

I have a Anthem MCA 225 gen1 amplifier that has a SNR of 120, 300 damping factor and Thd .0010%. the Anthem specs are past the audiable .Looking at the Amplifier rating chart I see the new Purifi D class amps have made significant improvement to the point that they surpass leading brands and go...
  10. A

Understanding FFT in Audio Measurements

Hi Amirm, I like the tutorials, but without drawing and diagrams and ,say a little more layman approach I think I would understand them better. It's not you but more from my position as I am not an academically inclined but do enjoy science just the same
  11. A

Arendal 1723 vs Revel Performa3 208

I have 1723 S thx . After having a two way speaker studios from Ron Cooper s Audio sound laboratories the Arendal after break in do offer a improvement and I can recommend that brand.
  12. A

laptop for music production and hifi-listening

Hi Bravomail, when using a DAC, does the internet signal coming in pass into the laptop CPU and then to the portable DAC. Or is that signal affected by the quality of the laptop such as amplifiercation or filtered in some way.
  13. A

Arendal Sound

Hi to you all, I have bought the Arendal 1723 S THX and I can thoroughly recommend these. The base is so punchy and the mid to highs are crystal clear . The best part is the listener fatigue and this is where I fell it counts. My experience is that the sound is so well balanced that I can say no...
  14. A

Hi Rick. I think that the testing of the xls encore in a basic build open a great opportunity compare and test the premium build. It would settle arguments with high end crossover components , edge diffraction and in your case resonance. I have used the no Rez and found some of the adhesive not...
Top Bottom