Recent content by andreasmaaan

1. andreasmaaan

Understanding speaker measurements

Yes thanks, brain fart. Post corrected.
  2. andreasmaaan

The polar response graphs will show you (1) how far off the central axis you can move vertically before the direct sound's tonal balance begins to audibly change and (2) what the tonal balance will be of the sounds reflected off floor, walls, ceilings, etc. The horizontal graphs of course give...
  3. andreasmaaan

The simplest way would be by measuring the step response, which essentially shows you the speaker's output over time when fed a step signal (an input that instantaneously goes from 0 to 1). A theoretical ideal step response (unattainable in real life) would look like this (the x-axis is time...
  4. andreasmaaan

Master Preference Ratings for Loudspeakers

I agree. However, it's not established that any particular slope is superior (or likely to be most preferred). This is illustrated by the two Olive studies, where preferred slope proved to be dependent on the average slope of each sample. Deviation, OTOH, is better established to correlate with...
  5. andreasmaaan

Affordable Accuracy Monitor Review

Where in the measurements do you believe the waveguide colouration you mention is apparent? Looking at the on- and off-axis responses of the BS22, I don't see anything that stands out above 4-ish kHz: Feel free not to weigh in deeper on this ofc ;)
  6. andreasmaaan

Many thanks. And if you don't mind 20 questions, which speaker have you used this one in? ;)
  7. andreasmaaan

What measurements really matter?

Concerning nonlinear distortion, I tried to address these questions in some detail here.
  8. andreasmaaan

@Dennis Murphy just to clarify, which Dayton woofer are you referring to here please? I presume you're not talking about this woofer linked earlier in the thread by @MZKM (which is obvs not a Dayton).
  9. andreasmaaan

I'm inclined to believe that, except in pathological cases (e.g. where distortion rises rapidly above 1kHz, or where a strange reconstruction filter has been applied that audibly modifies the frequency response below 20kHz), all the DACs in the yellow zone and above sound the same with music...
  10. andreasmaaan

I think you're correct in believing that the multitone test will tend to give better data than a harmonic distortion test at a single frequency. However, although you may be able to hear -90dB in your room when a 1kHz tone is played in isolation, this is not the same as being able to hear a...
  11. andreasmaaan

You know, this is something I'd never understood in the paper. If you add up the 4 coefficients in the formula, you get 12.11, not 12.69. I can't work out why this would be the case? Anyway, if it were up to me, I wouldn't be trying to tweak the Olive model. I think it is what it is, and...
  12. andreasmaaan

Normalising the PIR and running the NBD score on it sounds like a very elegant solution to me :) I'm not sure I understood the first part about using the % weighting for each parameter as opposed to the formula weighting?
  13. andreasmaaan

I think this is a great idea. However, purporting to give an experimental "preference" model would be overstepping IMHO, given that we couldn't possibly derive it from valid preference data. I would suggest instead that we simply give speakers a rating for each of: ON deviation from flat LFX...
  14. andreasmaaan

KEF R3 Speaker Review

For sure. The 8C would absolutely be superior to panels in this regard, I would think.
Top Bottom