Recent content by alpha_logic

1. alpha_logic

SMSL D300 Dac

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, yes.
  2. alpha_logic

Thoughts on SMSL D-6 DAC?

Amazon, every time - sending things back to China when things go awry is just plain wrong.
  3. alpha_logic

Ok, never actually had this hooked up on windows. You can set the input buffer - but only through a) the smsl provided driver config systray app, which only provides ASIO configuration, or b) something like foobar2000, please see attached screenshot. Depending on what output you use - Asio or...
  4. alpha_logic

Alright - I looked into the pop/click issue in more detail. I can reproduce the issue if I put in some arbitrary software buffer in front of the device, and increase latency of the 'stream' to the DAC; I can also reproduce the problem by switching from a very high sample rate to a regular sample...
  5. alpha_logic

In other words supplying a steady amount of power (under load). OK, I'll maintain that adding capacitance to the circuit will improve dynamic swings and bass extension, since they supply power without any voltage/current/power phase lag. You might know of measurements that prove the opposite...
  6. alpha_logic

Fair enough. I don't understand then why you would post a pic of Samuel Johnson - a literary giant, well known figure in the field of English Literature - to illustrate the concept of 'correlation, not causation', which incidentally is a concept Johnson understood very well. OK, so what purpose...
  7. alpha_logic

Love the snarky pic. Tell me why I'm wrong then.
  8. alpha_logic

Screenshot of a disassembled SMSL D-6; there's a surprising amount of capacitance built into the circuit, I attribute the ample amount of 'dynamic slam' and base extension to this capacitance.
  9. alpha_logic

https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/202393369-Why-are-there-clicks-when-I-change-sample-rate- Could also be a buffer under/over-flow problem with your specific device(s), try using larger/smaller buffers, if you can. EDIT: In fact, a bufferunderflow would make sense - while the...
  10. alpha_logic

So, I like this DAC so much I'll leave it plugged into my desktop reference system, where it will replace my desktop-daily-driver, a VMV D1SE - for a few weeks. The D-6 is audibly transparent, it doesn't have 'a sound', and that's just fine with me. What did surprise me though is the 'dynamic...
  11. alpha_logic

Honestly, I think that's a WIIM problem rather than a problem with the DAC - you can try replacing it, and I think you should, but chances are it'll do the same.
  12. alpha_logic

No - nothing - no pops, clicks or anything out of the ordinary, using either Deadbeef playlists with bitmatched playback on different samplerates, or streaming through Plex. Just works.
  13. alpha_logic

Just got this unit today. Verified toslink, coax and usb inputs - no problems whatsoever. This is a very good DAC by any standard, and at this price point it's outrageously good.
  14. alpha_logic

I've read somewhere on this forum that there's a supply problem with transceiver chips such as the AK4118, and that the latest DACs ship with cheaper, less capable transceiver chips, thus resulting in poor performance with optical/coax connections. The Topping D90se would be one example; looking...
Top Bottom