Recent content by aasearles

1. aasearles

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

From Page 1 I overlaid the response graphs (below) to show differences through the sweep for HD58x and HD650. Basically HD58x has slightly more deep bass (both are lacking a lot here), while HD650 is a little hotter between 2-5kHz, otherwise they both plot fairly close to the Harman target...
  2. aasearles

Balanced Line Output from MiniDSP 2x4HD (help!)

Agree, my thoughts exactly. Guess I will reach out to them about it. I really hope the P20 is not falsely claiming, but the thought has crossed my mind. If so, Loxjie would have a bit of explaining to do: I will try disconnecting the hot and post the results.
  3. aasearles

I believe this is true in both cases. I've heard SE input through both SE and balanced output modes. I've also heard 'balanced' input through both output modes, but the signal I'm hearing isn't complete. Only half of the signal (hot) is being output from the amp. The inverted cold side isn't...
  4. aasearles

Here is the cable I'm using to connect the headphones:
  5. aasearles

Set-up at my office desk is modular components. Mostly listen w/headphones. This is where I enjoy tweaking the sound, experimenting. I I have a Denon DMD-M10 Minidisc recorder feeding toslink to the MiniDSP, which is connected USB to a MacBook Pro - this is my main music player w/remote...
  6. aasearles

I don't stream music normally. My music is mostly MP3/AAC/WAV, MiniDisc, and occasionally analog (LP, Cassette). MiniDSP's analog/digital inputs gives me connectivity with many formats + DA conversion + PEQ, and it works standalone if I want to use it offline. I have a make-shift measurement...
  7. aasearles

What I meant in mentioning the Valhalla, it's a great zero-feedback SE amp that works with higher impedance phones, but I'd still like to get this P20 working through its balanced inputs, for using with a pair 32 ohm AKGs. The Valhalla isn't so good with the lower impedance loads. Sorry to...
  8. aasearles

Thx for the reply. To your question, yes, I'm using the XLR output (#4 below) from the P20 amp to drive my headphones. Per the manual's instruction, I've set the output mode to "ou1" for the balanced port. PS - solderdude, I visited your country last month and enjoyed it very much (not...
  9. aasearles

Thank you DanielT for reviving this thread, and to the others who've replied - I sincerely appreciate it! Now I'll work through and give some responses. Thanks for this info. If I can't achieve balanced (differential) output through the use of this miniDSP unit on it's own, I might look into...
  10. aasearles

Vera Audio P400/1000 Review (Amplifier)

Out of curiosity, where does this preference, and/or the opinion come from - that having no front power control = superior industrial design? Other than minimalist aesthetic, why is an accessible power control on an amplifier bad? Genuinely interested in answers from anyone with an opinion. Thanks!
  11. aasearles

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Finally, no EQ recommended, just awesome. The industrial design is quite appealing also. Well done, Dan Clark!
  12. aasearles

Impact of AC Distortion & Noise on Audio Equipment

Great analysis of the impact of AC quality - and THANKS for the long awaited review of the Loxjie P20!
  13. aasearles

MASSDROP Sennheiser HD58X JUBILEE Review (Headphone)

I'm the owner of the 58x sample for this review, can confirm they were purchased for ~$135 last year. For what it's worth, the 58x's 150 ohms is enough for a good match to my OTL headphone amp. They also respond well to SS amps, so one of the more versatile headphones I've tried.
  14. aasearles

Balanced DAC - Audible Difference Likely?

An interesting question, and I'm in the process of upgrading to balanced (I/O) right now to hear what the differences are. My biggest draw is the extra voltage potential with balanced. But I read at Rod Elliot's site that there is potential for degradation of CMRR (noise rejection ratio) due to...
  15. aasearles

Having a problem with my first balanced set-up and could use some advice from the more experienced folks. I have a Loxjie P20 headphone amp, which features balanced XLR 3-pin inputs and balanced 4-pin output. I'd like to feed the balanced inputs by fabbing a custom cable and driving with a...
Top Bottom